Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RSD as a result of tts surgery?

Posted by Jason Bonsignore on 6/30/04 at 18:57 (154290)

Hello,

I was told from my foot and anjkle doctor that he wants to do tarsal tunnel surgery and i asked him what the worst outcome from this surgery was he said:

1. Infection
2. RSD
3. No chance of permenent nerve damage

What is RSD and is he right about this?

Re: RSD as a result of tts surgery?

LARA on 7/01/04 at 11:07 (154322)

RSD is very uncommon, possibly rare. I belive it is possible from any surgery (and a lot of other insults or trauma to the body). It can be nasty. It can get better and eventually wane away - no guarantees. My friend has RSD (from bodly trauma during a car accident). My impression (largely from her) is that worrying about RSD, without any family history or other reason to be concerned, is like worrying about serious bodily injury by playing sports. There are some people more vulnerable, who therefore do modify their sport activity level, but most of us take it as a risk of life. It's a good reason not to do frivolous surgery - but there are lots of better reasons for not doing frivolous surgery. I think there are lots of good reasons to be very cautious and explore all other treatments before having surgery for TTS, but I haven't included RSD on my list unless there is a particular reason in the history of the particular person.

Marty from SLC on 7/01/04 at 13:01 (154329)

Jason,

Please become as familiar with TTS release as you can. Have you tried conservative treatments?? How long have you had this? What are your symptoms? What tests have you had done?

Good Luck,

Marty

Jason Bonsignore on 7/01/04 at 19:01 (154349)

I have had it for 10 months and have only pain as my symptom. I had an ncv which showed minimal irritation to post tib nerve nothing dramatic. My neurologist said he would not do the surgery based on the test results and said it is an unpredicatable surgery. I have negative tinels sign. I have no numbness or tingling or burning type pain. Tried phy therapy , for 4-5 months no success as well as accupuncture , casting(hard cast for 2 months) rest and 3 pairs of orthotics. I been throught the mill. Any other suggestions Marty?

LARA on 7/01/04 at 20:00 (154354)

Any other suggestions Marty?

compression socks, unless there is known mass (besides a varicose vein) in the tarsal tunnel.

They were magic for me. I don't think I have a varicose vein for various reasons, my doctor thinks it's likely for other legitimate reasons (lots of people with TTS for no known reason are found to have a varicose vein running through the tunnel when surgery or an autopsy is performed). REgardless, they are magic for me. They don't work for everyone and cause pain for some people - in which case they lose an investment of under $20.00 and take them off.

Re: LARA Question please

Jason Bonsignore on 7/02/04 at 17:38 (154415)

heh lara,

Thaks for the tip on compression socks. Did you have only inside ankle pain as your tts symptom? I have no numbness or tingling or burning symptoms, just inside ankle pain at rest and worse with weightbaring and standing for long periods as well as walking for extended periods.

Re: LARA Question please

LARA on 7/03/04 at 07:35 (154437)

My primary symptom was burning pain on the bottom of my feet. Generally, except at it's worst, I didn't feel it when walking, just when I stopped! At it's very very worst I had undifferentiated sharp pain on the top of my feet when I began walking. Both are classic signs of nerve pain (I think) although several doctors missed it before I got to someone who knew TTS (they figured it was in my head or something). There are other reasons for nerve pain, and the variation in symptoms of people with TTS is pretty broad.

Darlene on 7/03/04 at 13:06 (154461)

I am in a 'suspected RSD' category right now following nerve decompression surgery for Morton's neuroma. I read that RSD is much more likely from nerve release surgery such tts release than surgery in general. It was in a medical paper that I stumbled upon on the Internet.

Marty in SLC on 7/06/04 at 18:44 (154667)

only pain as your symtoms ..... hmmmmmm, man my feet burn like crazy along with pain. I don't think this is typical with tts. Where is the pain?

LARA on 7/07/04 at 06:17 (154706)

DARLENE'S MESSAGE: I read that RSD is much more likely from nerve release surgery such tts release than surgery in general.

Yuck. I guess I'll move it to yet another good reason to avoid TTS surgery if you can have a nice life without it.!