Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bunnion surgery

Posted by jonib on 7/01/04 at 13:01 (154330)

had my op 24 may 04 and I regret it so much. the pain is not worth it and although its only been 6 weeks it has been HELL. I told my surgeon (really lovely man) that if he just let me speak to the people on his list I would be able to reduce it by half. I am a tough cookie or I thought I was till I had this op and I really believe the op should come with councelling and case history so you can make an informed decision based on what you know from someone who has felt the pain of bunion surgery. Mind you I probably wouldnt have listened

Re: bunnion surgery

Dee C on 7/06/04 at 15:36 (154635)

I had a similar reaction. Had Tailor's bunionectomy (outside of right foot-little toe met. area). Have sure heard and read a lot of after pain stories since. Never heard of anyone with my type though it must be similar. My surgery was May 28,'04. No shoe is comfortable. Birkenstocks hit the incision area. Also had pf release on other foot same day. To say the least, 'pain city'. Did you have a lot of swelling, and did it ever go dowm in your bunion area?

Tonya on 7/18/04 at 16:51 (155777)

I too have had bunion surgery and it is hell. My left foot was first and I had to keep an ice pack on my foot for at least 23 days everyday and I still have to put an ice pack on it at night even now, three months later. I have had my right foot operated on 18 days ago. I thought the doctor would make my feet match but he didn't. The scars are different and the toes are leaning in different directions. I am totally crippled. He used a screw in my left foot that was too big and I can still feel it. I think I will have to have that foot operated on again. I limp and walk on the outside of both my feet. I mostly stay in bed and eat all day. I can't go anywhere because I can't dress up and look good because I can't wear any shoes not even my boot. They gave me one size boot for my left foot and a different size (too small) for my right foot. If I had to do it again I would not do it at this time. I have kept a journal since the very beginning. As it is now, I have taken 10/20 Hydrocodone about 90 of them and tomorrow I will be going to get another refill for 40 more, but this time he made it for 7.5 a lower strength. My doctor lied to me and said that I could be back at work in three days but it's been months and I am still not able to work. I have to elevate my feet at all times because of the swelling. Both my feet at the end of the day and during the day have fever in them. If I were to do this again, which I don't think I would. I would want to see pictures and I would want to do only one foot a year. Not one right behind the other. Now I am worried that I will be permanently crippled. My mom had to take me grocery shopping in a wheelchair yesterday and I ran in to my friends and I was so embarrassed. Yes, I agree that you do need some counseling before getting this surgery done. I can't believe the Web sites that doctors promote that say this is a cake walk. Hell, you'll be lucky to walk at all. Now I know why my doctor will not look me in the eye. He lied to me to get me to let him make money off of me, and now it's done, and he can't stand looking at me with all my pain. Live and learn or read this!

Dee C on 8/03/04 at 14:57 (156834)

Tonya, how are you doing now? I could sympathize with you a lot. Was told I was a slow healer. Been 2 mos. now and I am still not able to wear any shoes other than velcro fastening sandals. The bunion still is so big looking. Just wondered how you are.

Whitney H on 7/06/05 at 20:31 (177977)

Hey iam 13 and have a really painful bunion and it hirts very badly. my docter said that the best thing for me to do is get the surgery done 'its the best thing' and iam really scard ................. ANY ADVISE?????

Alice L on 3/27/07 at 06:02 (226048)

Hi

My name is Alice and i'm thinking of having the op done. My feet looks terrible and can't even walk barefoot on the beach. Would you not recommend this surgery at all? How does your feet look after you had the surgery done?

Hope to hear from you
Alice

mandy on 10/16/07 at 00:22 (237846)

if your getting the surgery for cosmetic reasons. don't do it! if your getting the surgery because it affects your everyday life ex: walking hurts, can't work your legs, back,hips hurt. i say go for it.

lisa on 12/22/07 at 15:26 (241159)

My daughter just had surgery on 12/19/07. everything is going well.Had three screws put in, and 14 stiches. Having some pain so far so good.

Vicki W on 1/23/08 at 11:08 (242293)

Hi, I am also having trouble with Bunnion's. I am schedule to have surgery on feb 27, right foot. how dod everything go and did you chse to be put to sleep or a leg block? I am a little scared, but what do you think? I will have my operation in Greenville.

Vicki W on 1/23/08 at 11:09 (242294)

Hi, I am also having trouble with Bunnion's. I am schedule to have surgery on feb 27, right foot. how dod everything go and did you chse to be put to sleep or a leg block? I am a little scared, but what do you think? I will have my operation in Greenville. my e-mail address is Dinki_06 at yahoo.com if anyone could help me out.
Thanks

Denise on 11/17/08 at 15:10 (252352)

Tonya,

It's been four years now since you've had your surgery...how is it now? I did a name query on 'foot fever' which lead me to this thread. I had surgery 11 days ago on my left foot, all was well or so I thought until I put the cast on, wore it for about 4 hours one day and two and a half on this past Saturday. Saturday night my foot was more swollen and feverish. I tell you it was hot!

Is there anyone else out there that has had a 'foot fever' after a bunion surgery? The surgery itself was fine, the recovery period was coming along OK, until I wore the boot, now it is very painful.

Also, I took 1 Lortab pill on Saturday morning and another Saturday night. I did not correlate the vomiting, nausea to the medication until Monday. Of 40 pills prescribed I have taken six. I kept five for my next surgery which will take place next month. The remainder have been flushed; they make you too sleepy, light headed, sick to the stomach etc.

Back to the 'foot fever' your comments are appreciated.