Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by JADO H on 7/01/04 at 13:33 (154333)

Has anyone taken oral prescription steroids to help in the heeling
of their PT or heel spurs? Thanks.

Re: Steroids

Pauline on 7/01/04 at 13:46 (154335)

Most doctors do not RX oral steroids for P.F. It something patients ask for and some doctors may give them a dose pack but from my own experience they don't work. I think your best to save oral steroids for situations where they really work well.

Like the rest of us when we started with P.F. your looking for that magic bullet to make this condition go away quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't happen that way.

If you haven't read Scott's book please do so. It's a wealth of information for you. You'll find patience and rest along with the other conservative treatments your best friends along with time.

I often thought if we could only hang our feet up for about 8 months and still go on with our lives that might really help.

JADO H on 7/01/04 at 14:00 (154336)

Oh, I have been looking for a quick fix for about 9 months now.
Actually - just something to make my feet feel better for awhile would
be nice. Most likely my active lifestyle is creating resistance to recovery. I have read this site frontwards and backwards a few times.
I find it very informative. I have tried many of things on the site.
Orthodics, stretching, cortizone shots - etc. However, I have not tried full rest. I have given up running and step aerobics. I still teach kickboxing and pilates. What hurts the most I think is working in my yard - maybe when winter comes I will be able to rest more. What types of things have you tried - have any of them been helpful? How long have you been fighting this?

So nice to talk to you.

Pauline on 7/01/04 at 15:40 (154344)

This is my third case of P.F. Third time round it lasted over 3 years then finally went away.

I've gone through my share of doctors, 3 pair of custom orthotics, slept in night splints long enough to wear a pair out, and enough physical therapy to cure the entire body. Been Rolfed, purchased what appeared to be every shoe on the market that promised comfort, gone through ice like I lived in the North Pole and stretched everything from my fingers to my toes.

I've worn hard casts, soft casts, and used crutches. What finally worked?
Time, rest, and with each case something different. Case # 1. A physical therapist from South Africa that worked on my feet with what I would call cross friction massage. I had treatment 3 times a week for about 4 months if I remember correctly. Case # 2 Time, rest, and Night Splints. I had P.T. again, but not with the same woman. She unfortunately returned home. I've never found another one that came close to her in massage therapy.
Case # 3 Time, rest and a new cream that was brought here by Dr. Reynolds called Jade 168. He was running a small study. I missed the study, but purchased the product. Using it was the turn around for me. I honestly didn't think it would work, but I'd spent so much money already what was a few extra bucks on this cream. I remember exactly when I began using it because I was in Chicago for a meeting. My feet were killing me and I took it out before I went to bed, iced my feet in the hotel room and rubbed that cream in well. Next day rubbed it in morning and night and kept doing it. I started noticing my inflammation finally going down. Once that began to happen my P.F. began to get better.

Today thank God I'm pain free, but will have flare ups so I pull out the ice and cream (wish that was ice cream' instead) and jump on any little tightness I feel. I also use Mike's 'Foot Trainers'. I think they strengthen my arches and I know they stretch my leg muscles.

Three times P.F. has come and gone, but I live on guard because hey the next case could be just around the corner. The one thing I found out however, is that as bad as P.F. is there are conditions out there a lot worse. TTS is one of them, but so are the cancers, Alzheimers, ALS etc. There are plenty of people out there willing to trade their medical condition for our cases of P.F. I know that doesn't make you feel any better nor should it demean the pain associated with P.F. in any way, but it simply means we have to deal with the cards at hand, do the best we can and try and keep a positive attitude while we seek relief.

There is no magic bullet and it appears at least with P.F. that various things help different people. The best that anyone can do is to seek the correct diagnosis, and try various conservative treatments within their means. Surgery is always an option, but NEVER ONE that I would suggest anyone consider because there is no guarantee it will ever make anyone pain free. After reading the surgery board for years, I've come to believe this even more because of the many complications that surgical patients suffer. There is no such thing as snip and go P.F. surgery. The decision of surgery, however, rests with the individual.

I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery from this very frustrating condition. Keep the faith and continue on a positive path. Eventually I think there will be light at the end of your tunnel.

john h on 7/01/04 at 18:25 (154347)

I took one round of Medrol which did ease the pain but the pain returned after pill #6 so I gave them up. They are not a cure but can help with pain in some cases. You cannot take these long term.

Janice N on 7/01/04 at 23:12 (154362)

Pauline I like your idea. Best one I heard yet. Just hang up our feet for months. Or we could have an exchange program. Change with all those lucky persons who have no foot pain. As I posted the other day that I am home most of the time due to poor health and can rest my feet often. But it doesnt even seem to me any good to stay off them. Today I over exercised them. walked too much in the pool and did too much for neighbors today. I did soak my feet in a foot spa with it bubbling alot and massage going and the accupucture little balls in the bottem. Even that hurt. I hope I sleep for a change and forget it all.
My tooties hurt. And you kow all too well what foot pain feels like.

Janice N on 7/01/04 at 23:21 (154363)

I tell you it didnt take long at all reading these posts for me not to consider surgery an option. With Arthritis, PF, Tendonitis, Neuromas and most likely early neuropathy that I sure don't need complications of surgery. At first it was because I was a newly diagnosed diabetic. And I hate surgery and hospitals etc. Now it is fear something will go wrong and I will be worse off.

Dr. Z on 7/02/04 at 00:43 (154368)

Did you have the classic plantar fasciits with pain on palpation at the insertion, first morning pain ?

Dorothy on 7/02/04 at 02:38 (154371)

Like John H, I was prescribed the Medrol pack but for a skin condition, one-series only. It had no affect on feet and ankles that I could tell. Also like John H said, it's a risky venture to take that medicine at all and most certainly for very long. Even with one-time series use, it significantly increases your risk of hip problems. Strange, isn't it, to be specific to the hip, but it's reported in the medical literature.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/03/04 at 11:10 (154451)

The effect of Medrol, or any oral steroid, will be dependent on the degree to which the PF has an inflammatory component (consider the treatment triad I have discussed). The greater the inflammatory component, the more effect from the steroid and vice versa.

The Medrol doesepack's dose does tend to be a bit light for musculoskeletal conditions -- it is used more for skin and respiratory conditions. If needed, we will have the patient take a dose of oral steroids, starting somewhat higher than that with the pre-made doesepack, then descending.