Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching keeps re-injuring me

Posted by Martin P on 7/02/04 at 08:34 (154376)

I'm 27 and generally fit, but have had severe heel pain for the last four months. I know from Scotts's book and my podiatrist the importance of stretching my calf muscles, but within a few days of doing them I re-injured my heels (inflammation shot up overnight) and then damaged my achilles tendons. Is there any way to loosen the gastro and soleus muscles without stretching? Am I stretching too much? Will massage help? Thanks.

Re: Stretching keeps re-injuring me

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/02/04 at 13:55 (154403)

It depends on the intensity of your stretching regimen. Some patients seem to over-stretch or do not stretch properly with a proper warm up and cool down period. I find the Strassburg Sock very useful for my patients. The Strassburg Sock allows for slow passive stretching with little risk for injury. A study in the Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery compared traditional weightbearing stretching exercises vs the Strassburg Sock, and the results indicated that patients had relief sooner with the use of the sock. I have no financial interest in the company, but do believe that this is a very useful and under utilized product.

Re: Stretching keeps re-injuring me

Martin P on 7/03/04 at 10:17 (154444)

Thanks Dr Wander.