Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to do for swelling?

Posted by Mel on 7/03/04 at 07:16 (154436)

I have been battling P.F. for 5 months now. Doing many of the things this website and message baord suggests.

I have swelling at the top of both feet. The bottoms are probably swollen too, but it has been so long since I saw what a 'normal' foot looks like that I can't differentiate. I have been feeling like they are tight and throbbing. I imagine this is part of the P.F. symptoms?

What can I do for this swelling? It must be adding to my pain, for sure.

I put my feet up as much as possible, I ice the bottoms several times a day. Wear the orthotics, never go barefoot, do the yoga exercises and stretches, been to P.T.....etc.

Any help would be appreciated...I am discouraged.

Re: What to do for swelling?

Janice N on 7/03/04 at 10:04 (154442)

For one thing make sure what is causing the swelling. You salt intake can be a factor. Swelling tends to be worse in the hot weather. Does the swelling go down then starts back up when you are on them awhile? Maybe you need to go to your family doctor and get checked out. There are many causes of swelling. A few months ago mine was so swollen I couldN't move my foot around. And it went all the way to the top of the calves of my legs. Never did figure what that was from. It sure scared me as it was swollen hard. I had to take a fluid pill for a couple of days and it went away. Then on Tuesday just one ankle was swollen up. But I had been on my feet more. Some medications cause swelling. My podiatrist said he would rather me take Bextra because Celebrex can cause swelling. Well as long as one of my doctors has samples I will be happy to do so. Some heart and blood pressure pills make you swell. And steriods will for sure.