Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Some camping pictures

Posted by wendyn on 7/04/04 at 21:11 (154498)

I've spent the last (almost) week camping with my youngest and some friends in the Kananaskis. This is the same area that we saw the bear last month, but no bear this time. We did lots of biking and some hiking, and I am now worn out enough to need to go back to work. But, it's a good worn out.

Thought some of you may enjoy the scenary pictures - it's a very pretty area.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EeAOGbloxbtGruA¬ag=1&sm=1&sl=1

Re: Some camping pictures

Dorothy on 7/05/04 at 00:25 (154504)

Wonderful! Thank you for the 'trip' - what stunning places.

john h on 7/05/04 at 10:03 (154527)

Wendy: What kind of fish in those lakes? Do you guys catch any fish and cook out? Anyone climb those mountains? All my trips to Alaska and Canada were in the winter but I did see Polar Bears and Artic Fox. Where is Nelson Eddy and Jennette McDonald in those pictures. I sure hope to see at least one Mounty on his horse in a red uniform.

In north Arkansas we have some great mountains for hiking and deep forest and raging streams. I drive up there each year but alas my feet are not ready I do not think. We only have 2.7 million people in our entire state so you can get in the woods real quick from my home. Like about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the pictures.

marie on 7/05/04 at 14:30 (154538)

wendy,
Absolutely stunning scenery! Wow! What a fun place for bicycling. Thanks so much for taking the time to post these. It's always nice to see photos from so far away. I love to go camping and hiking. It's just so refreshing to be outside.

best wishes marie

Necee on 7/05/04 at 21:27 (154562)

I loved the pictures Wendy, those mountains are awesome! Looks like you had some nice weather while you were there.
Thanks for sharing.

Happy trails.......

Necee

wendyn on 7/05/04 at 22:48 (154566)

John, the fishermen in my family have not had any success with fishing those lakes, so I can't tell you what kind of fish are in there.

My son did catch a Rainbow Trout somewhere else a few weeks ago, and he cooked it in foil and loved it.

I believe that you know that real mounties do not wear those red uniforms (except for shows).

My feet are still mad at me from the hiking, but I do not care!

wendyn on 7/05/04 at 22:50 (154567)

Necee, we had some good weather. We had several nights where it POURED buckets. Fortunately, we were in a tent trailer (that has a furnace). One night we had a wicked thunder storm; the thunder sounds really neat echoing off the mountains...it sounds a lot like a big bowling ball.

All in all, the days were nice though.

We didn't see a bear, but we did see a mama moose and a baby moose.

wendyn on 7/05/04 at 22:58 (154570)

Marie, a week outside was the best. I've had a lot of stress lately, but I feel like a new person. At least for a few days!

wendyn on 7/05/04 at 22:59 (154571)

Dorothy, that area is only about an hour and a half from my house. We are very fortunate that way. On the other hand, it got so cold that my furnace kicked in yesterday afternoon (in the house). We are not so fortunate that way!

Dorothy on 7/06/04 at 00:30 (154578)

Great posts, great attitude, thanks for sharing your fun - and welcome back!

Suzanne D. on 7/06/04 at 11:41 (154609)

Wendy, I loved your pictures! What a beautiful place to go camping. My favorite was the 'Nice Rain Clothes' one. Is that your son in the picture? That is adorable and looks like it belongs in a children's picture book. I'm glad you had a good time.

My husband and I were on vacation last week. We went to Atlanta, Georgia for one night and saw a play. Then we went to St. Augustine, Florida and enjoyed the oldest city in the continental US as well as being near the ocean. I have only seen the ocean a few times, and it is always breathtaking.

I wore my plastic Pacific Birks to wade in the water but just once had to feel the sand and water rush through my toes, so I took them off briefly. It was nice to be able to enjoy the beach.

Thanks again for the pictures!
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 7/06/04 at 18:03 (154658)

Wendy,

What a breathtaking area! It is a trade-off, having it be so cold at night but what gorgeous country! It looks like you all had a wonderful time and after the strain you've been through this year, you all deserve it.

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

wendyn on 7/06/04 at 23:05 (154696)

Yes, Suzanne, that is my youngest. He is quite a photogenic little guy (and always putting on a show)

I am looking forward to seeing the ocean again in a few weeks - we are going to Boston. (I also love the feeling of the water and the sand...it's well worth it!)

Suzanne D. on 7/07/04 at 16:30 (154788)

Wendy, you'll have to 'beat the girls off with a stick' (as they say around here) when your little boy becomes a teenager! :) He is a cutie.

I hope you are having a good week and that you enjoy your trip to Boston in a few weeks!

Suzanne :)

JudyS on 7/08/04 at 10:44 (154848)

Wendy, will you get a chance to visit with Nancy S?

Re: Some camping pictures- Wendy

Kathy G on 7/09/04 at 08:53 (154911)

I'm real busy these days - and that's a good thing, but I haven't had time to post very much or even read the boards. Just want to say that I hope you have a great time in Boston this time, Wendy, and that you don't get sick! We had a rainy, lousy April and most of May was the same but by mid-June, we started having wonderful weather. At least by my standards! We've had only two days that hit ninety and very little humidity. It's been sunny, dry and mostly in the low eighties. My kind of weather!!

This year, due to all that rain, the trees and ground plants, are lush and green and it's just so pretty. Everything, including the blasted weeds!, is just growing like crazy. My clematis is a sight to behold. I'm loving every minute of this weather!

I hope the good stretch holds for your visit! And I hope you'll be out of Boston by the time the Convention starts on the twenty-sixth. The entire city and many of the suburbs will be in total gridlock for that week. With security such a priority, I can't even imagine why they are having a convention in a city with streets that were haphazardly placed upon old cow paths. It should be in a planned city like New York where the streets and avenues make sense. During the best of times, traffic in Boston is a nightmare. Lots of people I know who work in Boston actually reserved hotel rooms as soon as the convention was announced and will just stay there during the convention rather than try to commute.

Re: The Ocean

Kathy G on 7/09/04 at 09:07 (154915)

As I just said, I'm in a bit of a rush and one of the reasons is that I have some errands to do and they will bring me close to the coast so I'll take the day and get my ocean fix. When you mentioned that you hadn't seen the ocean very often, Suzanne, it brought to mind a conversation my daughter and I just had recently. She's job hunting but has ruled out any place that wouldn't allow her 'to get to the ocean in much more than an hour.' My son is the same way. I guess it's ingrained in them.

Growing up in the parts of NE that I have, I've always been able to jump in my car and get to the beach in an hour or so. I don't have to swim or even put my feet into the water. I just have to be able to see the ocean and breathe the air. It's like a drug or something for me.

When I was young, my family always vacationed at a beach near Nancy S and my husband and I continued to vacation there for the first twenty years we were married. Although we now go to the Cape, my husband always jokes that I need my 'Hills Beach Fix' on an anual basis.

Last year, due to the injury to my shoulder, I wasn't able to drive that far but I'm hopeful I'll be able to get there for a day this year. Ideally, I go in the Fall, too, when the beach is just as beautiful.

Isn't it funny how we are shaped by where we've lived geographically? Suzanne has mentioned swimming in a river. I've never been swimming in a river in my life. We have one river, that runs through the town, that was polluted up until about twenty years ago but even though it's clean now, we don't have any areas that lend themselves to swimming because it's not a very big river.

Well, enough rambling. I will get myself out and on the way to see the sea!

john h on 7/09/04 at 10:31 (154928)

My river story. Northwest of Bankok is the famous bridge known in the movie as the Bridge Over The River Kwai. I had rode a bus to the bridge and then boarded a boat with about 25 tourist of all ages and from many countries. It was a Thai holiday known as 'Water Day'. People throw water at anyone in sight. As we boated down the very filthy river Kwai to some caves a Thai couple on the boat started splashing water on me. I retaliated and also got other people wet. Finally feeling very good I just jumped in the river with my clothes on. The other people including a pregnant lady got in the spirit and everyone in the boat jumped in one of the dirtist rivers in Thailand. Only the boat driver remained. A great time was had by all and we continued to be pelted by buckets of water as we bused back to Bankok. 25 tourist and strangers from all over the world came together to have an extraordinary time on this one day where hundreds of brave British Soldiers once built a bridge out of the jungle in Thailand into Burma.

Dorothy on 7/09/04 at 17:25 (154995)

I wonder if it might be some factor of human genetics, from our origins in the sea. I too am drawn to the ocean and feel very satisfied to be near it. This occasional sea-visit has to last me for quite a while between contacts, and it is extremely precious to me. I first saw the ocean (Atlantic, first) when I was about 18 or 19 and was living in the Boston area. Up and down the Mass. coast, Cape Cod, the North Shore and on into Maine - and it was all just newly discovered 'food' to my spirit. I hadn't known what I was missing. Many years later I 'met' the Pacific and what another joy that was. I also love the 'Sweetwater Seas', the Great Lakes, and you can look out over Lake Michigan or Lake Superior or lie on the Lake Michigan beaches and have the same feeling. The Great Lakes are magnificent and precious and deserve to have protection and respect, rather than the abuse and exploitation they have endured. People should also educate themselves about bottled water (for example, read Water Follies...) because Nestle, a Swiss company that is buying up the rights to huge amounts of America's freshwater supplies and pumping it away until it will be gone, affecting aquifers and surface water and wetlands, and some other water-mining operators, will soon own and control the very most precious of earth's products - fresh water.
Anyway - yes, love of the sea and love of the elixir of life, fresh water - we are ultimately all 'water babies'. Always amazing to know that our bodies have identical salinity to the oceans.

MARK L on 7/10/04 at 10:57 (155045)

We made that possible by creating the bottled water craze. Before everyone walked around with a bottle of water I don't remember seeing people dying of thirst in the street. Besides, I wouldn't be too worried about depleting the water we drink- most of it gets recycled back into the enviroment and we drink it again. :p

Re: Judy

wendyn on 7/11/04 at 16:11 (155118)

Judy, I'm going to do my best. Originally, we had planned on driving north from Boston to Fredericton New Brunswick for a weekend visit (we have friends who moved to NB a few years ago). That would have made it very easy to stop in and meet Nancy. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible for us, as Canadians, to take an American rental car back from the U.S. into Canada (customs/tax problems). Plus, it's about a 12 hour drive one way, not including long waits at the border. Considering we're only there for two weeks, losing another 2 whole days driving just didn't make sense.

Long story short, we will fly from Boston to Fredericton for the weekend visit (remember - I'm all about the flying). I'm still trying to work out a little side trip to my fellow-foot buddy though!

I may need a day trip away from the rest of the family...

Re: Boston

wendyn on 7/11/04 at 16:15 (155120)

Kathy, unfortunately our trip will overlap the convention. I didn't realize that until I was reading the paper while I was there in May (no one from my family there noticed the date problem aagghghhghgh!!!)

We are actually not staying in Boston, my aunt lives about an hour outside of it. So, hopefully we will not have too many problems. We'll see.

Boston roads and that whole 'Big Dig' is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. You could not pay me enough to drive around in Boston!!!

Dorothy on 7/11/04 at 18:26 (155127)

The 'rotaries' are fun, aren't they? People get on those and spend the rest of their lives going round and round and round.

Re: Suzanne

wendyn on 7/11/04 at 18:59 (155130)

Suzanne, he just finished a week of daycamp at the zoo. He came home with one phone number and half a dozen MSN messanger addresses.

8-(PIPE)

Re: Suzanne

wendyn on 7/11/04 at 19:00 (155131)

Sorry - meant to add

ALL girls.

Kathy G on 7/12/04 at 08:25 (155146)

I confess that I haven't driven in Boston since 1989. That was before the Big Dig but that particular trip was so horrible, I swore never again! If we go, my husband does the driving. Well, I got lost and went through Boston on the way home from the Cape a few years ago but that shouldn't count because I should never have done it!

I laughed when you mentioned the rotaries, Dorothy. I have never lived anyplace where there weren't rotaries so I kind of take them for granted. I had a friend from the midwest who told the funniest story about searching for the Rotary Club when she received directions from a realtor to a house that was for sale. She was told to go around the 'rotary' and just couldn't find the Rotary Club to go around. The realtor, of course, meant the infamous 'Oval' in the center of our town. That's no problem for those of us who live here but one has to be so careful of out-of-towners who haven't got a clue how to drive through it. Why did New Englanders think rotaries were such a good idea?

Some rotaries are more challenging than others. The worst is the Sagamore Rotary that brings you onto Cape Cod. I do all right getting onto the Cape but getting off is a challenge. Each year, I go 'round and 'round that blasted rotary, trying to decide which turn I should take. Many's the year, I've made the wrong decision and end up going back onto the Cape. I feel like Tom Dooley!

You'll be fine, Wendy. Your family will know all the alternate routes that are available during the convention. They're already printing them in the newspaper. Bad news today, though. The city refused to make an exception and the bars all have to close by 2AM, convention or not. You'll have to get all your carousing in by then or you'll be out of luck!

wendyn on 7/12/04 at 13:15 (155187)

Kathy, what time were they proposing that the bars close?!?

Re: ~~~~~~~Swimming in a river~~~~~~~

Necee on 7/12/04 at 16:04 (155209)

I grew up on a farm, we had a river that ran through the property, and that was where I learned how to swim, actually my brother taught me how to swim there.

One part of the river was very shallow, if you wanted to drive on the other side of the property that was the only place you could cross, it had a slate riverbed, which made driving across very easy, except at times when the moss was growing, it would cover the slate which made very slippery conditions. I can't tell you how many times I fell trying to cross that river barefooted! The road led right alongside the riverbank gradually meandering down to water level....we would drive our old farm truck down the shallow riverbed, it was only about a foot deep at that point, but we had to drive in the river for about 500 ft, as a child I thought that was the neatest thing. Once we got to where the road came out on the other side of the river, that was the tricky part...it was VERY steep! We had to back up and get a running start up that bank...with tires spinning on that mossy riverbed, and my brother and me holding on for dear life, we would always make it up to the top of the riverbank. What was really scary was when we had to drive the tractor to the other side. My dad would never let us ride with him then, for fear that we might fall off, so we had to walk.
Those were the good ol' days!!!

Happy trails..........

Necee

john h on 7/12/04 at 17:39 (155219)

Never!~

Kathy G on 7/13/04 at 08:15 (155279)

The article in the Boston Globe never said but I got the impression from a fellow on WBZ that 4AM was what they were hoping for! The bars and restaurants are very concerned about loss of revenue because so many companies will be closed and so many of the streets will be closed during the convention. Their only source of revenue will be the delegates because everyone else is avoiding the city as much as possible.

Re: Judy

Kathy G on 7/13/04 at 08:24 (155280)

Wendy,

Talk about a change in times. Back when we used to go to PEI for vacation, we used to travel in two cars. We had to because we were going to an island and if we forgot something, we were out of luck. In those days, there was hardly anywhere to shop in PEI. I brought all my food because the prices were so high in PEI. My husband had a pickup truck and I had a Corolla so we'd each take one of our children with us. When we'd get to the border, which ever of us was first, would talk to the guard, tell him where we were going and why and that the vehicle in the rear was the other half of the family. They never even stopped the rear vehicle; just waved us through. It took us absolutely no time to get over the border, either way. Things have changed so much since 9/11! It's so sad.

My sister was in Vancouver, British Columbia, a couple of weeks ago. It was her first visit to Candada and she said it was wonderful. And, like us, she commented on how friendly and nice the Canadian people are. She's traveled a great deal, not like me, so she has a basis for comparison. My son has traveled extensively, too, and he says the Canadians and the Australians are the nicest and friendliest people he's encountered.