Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctors - Please tell me if you could make any sense of this

Posted by Darlene on 7/05/04 at 13:00 (154537)

In the evenings my feet begin to burn on all the plantar surfaces that are in contact with my running shoes. These same areas are red. I also have inner ankle pain and having been walking with an altered gait for 5 months.

If this is the beginning of tss, how could I mitigate it? I had nerve conduction tests, an MRI and a diagnostic ultrasound. All were normal except for the morton's neuroma. The less I use my feet, the better they are.

I wear orthotics, but felt that the back of the arch was digging into me even though they are soft, so I switched back to my Birkenstock inserts. The heel tingling and pins and needles has subsided, but not the burning sensation on the ball and heel of both feet. I feel it more in my left foot which had nerve decompression surgery in January.

Would osteopathy be good for this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Doctors - Please tell me if you could make any sense of this

Dr. Z on 7/05/04 at 16:12 (154546)

Hi

When you say nerve decompression surgery are you talking about TTS release?
A neuroma sure can contribute if not cause this problem. So can the altered gait from your surgery.
Are you running every day or just wearing running shoes?
Did you have these problems before your nerve decompression surgery?

Re: Dr. Z.

Darlene on 7/05/04 at 20:46 (154559)

Dr. Z:

My surgery was a minimal incision release of the ligament below the morton's neuroma.

I am not running, just wearing running shoes. Walking is difficult.

I had no problems prior to the surgery other than the morton's neuroma.

I am very concerned about the new tts type pain that I am now having and want to nip it in the bud if possible.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Re: Doctors - Please tell me if you could make any sense of this

Dr. Z on 7/05/04 at 21:09 (154560)

Hi

When was the last time you saw your doctor. A complete neurological examination is in order. Your podatrist should be able to help you. Glad you are tying to nip this now

Darlene on 7/06/04 at 13:58 (154625)

I've had nerve conductions tests, MRI, diagnostic ultrasound, bone scan. So far all looks normal except for the morton's neuroma which measures 4x5mm on the ultrasound.
I'm going to accupuncture and osteopathy.

If it is the beginning to tts, what could I do to mitigate it as much as possible.

Thank you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/07/04 at 23:54 (154825)

Darlene:
I am not a fan of interventions such as cutting the intermetatarsal ligament. If you already are going in, the neuroma is an abnormal growth and should be removed in my opinion.
Ed