Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Trigger Points Can Mimick PF

Posted by jschac on 7/05/04 at 15:09 (154541)

I had fought what I thought was PF for two months. I was miserable, as you all know. I went to a Podiatrist who diagnosed me with PF, confirming what I had learned on this and other websites. I had obtained numerous store-bought supports and had custom orthotics on order.

Then a friend with PF loaned me a book: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief by Clair Davies. I have no connection to this book's author or publisher.

I read the section on the calves and feet, massaged my calves and feet for 20 minutes and stood up and walked. My pain was virtually gone.

A trigger point, which is essentially an irritable spot in a muscle, can send pain to a nearby part of the body. This is called referred pain. The main trigger point mimicking PF is found in the lower calf muscle, the Soleus. Rub it the right way and your 'pseudo-PF' goes away.

Poke around your calf. If you have any trigger points you will know it when you poke it.

Another trigger point which mimicks PF is at the sight of your pain, right in front of the heel.

Information on this disorder whould be on this web site and should be tought more completely to medical professsionals.

In any event, I now have an excuse to get a frequest massage.

Best of luck to those of you with PF. The mimicked pain I had gives me great sympathy for you!

Re: Trigger Points Can Mimick PF

Pete R on 7/06/04 at 04:04 (154585)

pleased your recovering. I also purchased that book but self massage didn't help. I think you need smone else to masssage to get the best effect.

Kathy in Ky on 7/06/04 at 08:08 (154592)

I had not been told about trigger points until last week. I've suffered through about 5 years of PF but decided to go to the chiropractor last week when a weakened bone in right foot actually popped out of place. I've tried cortizone shots, ice, walking cast, etc. Then last week I gave up & tried the chiropractor. She confirmed a very large bone spur in my heel thru x-ray & said she could help relieve the trigger point pain in my arch. (?) So far I've had two expensive visits in her office involving electronic muscle stimulation, ultra sound in water, bone adjustments in both feet & the most painful ligament massage. I'm now taking Flaxseed Oil gels, Liga-plex supplements and rubbing my feet with Tea Tree oil. The actual bone pain has improvement greatly but my arch is much more sensitive than it was before the massages began. I'm hoping the pain is going to decrease after my ligaments & muscles get used to the deep massage. Has anyone had success from this type of treatment? I thought I would try at least 6 visits to see if the increased arch pain subsides before giving up. She also told me I needed new orthotics & I'm waiting to see if my insurance will allow me to get another pair. I would love to get some advice related to chiropractors from some other posters.

john h on 7/06/04 at 09:03 (154594)

Kathy is there anyone who does not want to sell us orthotics??? I did not know Chiropractors were selling orthotics. If your Chiropractor did not watch you walk and do some sort of gait analysis and explain what biomechanical problem would be corrected I would be very skeptical. I am not knocking Chiropractors in general but there are some who just add procedures to increase revenume.

Kathy in Ky on 7/06/04 at 10:58 (154607)

Actually she recommended that I go back to my Pod. so to be fitted & order the orthotics because my insurance doesn't cover hers. My old orthotics are hard, I'm hoping to get some softer ones if possible. I was surprised to learn my ins. would pay for 12 Chiro. visits a year. I thought I would try with 6 now & go again for 6 more after school starts & I have to stand on the concrete again. But I am skeptical of the trigger point therapy since it is new to me.

Barry on 7/06/04 at 21:43 (154690)

I am a massage therapist who has just had a prospective client with PF contact me. I have also study acupressure which is similar tp Trigger Point Therapy in that use the same points along arious meridians of the body. The Chinese have been using acupressure and acupunture for oer 5000 years. Their belief is that there are 1000 symptoms and only one disease. Another book is 'The Natural Healer's Acupressure Handbook' by Michael Blake. Will let you know more after consultation with client.

Audrey H on 7/07/04 at 22:08 (154814)

My podiatrist actually mentioned trigger points today when I told him my heel feels better (and the fascia now measures 3.2mm down from 4.1mm), but the area right in front of my heel is on fire! I'm going to talk to my PT about this. Very intriguing.