Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going to have a nervous breakdown

Posted by Tom W. on 7/05/04 at 15:55 (154544)

I had Partial Plantar release in my right foot about 4 and a half months ago. The pain today has now traveled from my arch (which i had for years) to the outside of my foot and all the way up my leg. I'm told it is cuboid syndrome. The orthotics i had before surgery dont do anything and i even got 2 new ones made after surgery already which have done nothing. Physical Therapy isn't working and i've been to 3 different podiatrists since the surgery who cant seem to do a damn thing for me. And on top of all this i have horrible pf on the other foot that i've tried everything in the book for and im afraid to get surgery on that one because i dont want the same thing to happen on both feet. I'm about to have a nervous breakdown! I'm 25 years old and i feel like a 85 year old cripple. Does anyone have any advice or anything? It would be greatly appreciated! Help! Thank You....
Tom

Re: Going to have a nervous breakdown

Dr. Z on 7/05/04 at 16:08 (154545)

Hi Tom W,

The cuboid syndrome can be very difficult to deal with. It may even be a local nerve entrapement due to the compensation from the shift of weight from the inside of your foot to the outside of the foot. What types of treatment have been offered to you for this very painful, difficult situtation. ESWT for the other foot will completely avoid this complication due to the no cutting of your medial column support. First tell me about the types of treatment that have been used for the cuboid syndrome pain.

Pauline on 7/05/04 at 23:02 (154573)

Tom,
You might want to read this site.

http://www.podiatry.freeservers.com/research/cuboidsyndrome.htm

Claire on 7/06/04 at 04:33 (154586)

Hi Tom. I don't have any advice for you with regards to cuboid or planter release as i am a TTS sufferer. I just want to let you know, i know exactly how you feel. I am 27 and over the past two years have really suffered with Mortons Neuroma and TTS. My life has changed completley, as i'm sure yours has too. If you ever want to let of some steam or chat about how frustrated you are, you can usually find me on the TTS board, although i check areas of the message board regularly. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Janet W on 7/06/04 at 14:40 (154631)

Claire,

I notice you have Mortons Neuroma, I did too, had 2 surgeries and am worse off now. Am looking at surgery for stump neuroma and am very scared. I can barely walk now and am afraid of 1 more surgery. What is TTS?
I just discovered this web site and am hopeful to find some solutions.

Thanks
Janet

Claire on 7/07/04 at 06:45 (154708)

Hi Janet. Good to hear from you. I had the sugeries in November 2002 and started to develop TTS maybe 4-5months post op. My case is very complicated as they are now saying that i've got complications from Mortons Nueroma surgery too, which i've suspected for some time now, the doctors are FINALLY taking notice. You say you suspect you have a stump neuroma, have you had an ultra sound or MRI scan or had a definate diagnosis? I had ultra sound and it did not show anything, although i've learn't recently that it is possible for it not to show. TTS is creates pain through out the whole foot as well as burning, pins and needles. Symptons can differ alot on each individual. When did you have Morton's Neuroma surgery? Was it bi-laterall? What's your case history?

Tom W. on 7/07/04 at 15:40 (154782)

For the cuboid syndrome I have had different orhotics made with cuboid plugs and modifications. I have been going to physical therapy for months and months now doing stretchs and exercises and ultrasound and blah blah blah. I have had injections as well.
As far as the other foot goes. I have already received ESWT on both feet and it did nothing. i'm at the end of my rope! Any advive would be so unbeliveably appreciated. Thanks DR. Z.
*tom

april l on 7/08/04 at 00:06 (154828)

Don't give up Tom. Plantar fasciitis release takes a long time to recover from. I had it twice. I don't know anything about cuboid syndrome, but for months after my surgery I had pain that felt like electrical shocks up my leg. I couldn't stretch my foot without severe pain and the physical therapist thought I might have nerve damage from the surgery. But today 10-11 months later, I am in no more pain and I don't have any nerve damage after all. I don't know about your specific case, but I do know that there is hope. Four months is way too soon to give up, so try not to get discouraged. I know how upsetting it is to have surgery hoping to fix the problem only to have a whole different set of problems as a result.

Janet W on 7/08/04 at 19:11 (154884)

Claire

I'm new to the this kind of communication, and hope that this gets to you.
1st merton's surgery 1997, 2nd in 2001. The 2nd one was thru the scar tissue of the 1st, by one of the best (ha ha) orthopedic surgeon in Seattle. What a joke that was. I'm told I need surgery for stump neuroma and the incision will be from the bottom of foot. It feels like a true stump neuroma by my arch, but I have just as much 'nerve pain' under my toes. There seems to be a big wad and the nerves are active in that wad. I'm afraid they won't get it all. The other problem is that my feet burn, pins and needles, as you described. I can't wear a sock on the bad foot.
I've had bone scan, one doctor said my joints were where my pain was and had me in a removable cast for 6 six weeks, it did help. My feet are so traumatized that I'm not clear what all is wrong. The only shoes I can wear are mircrofibre diabetic shoes. Any inserts or orthodics kill me. My feet do hurt more after drinking coffee. (bummer).

The only one that has remotely helped me is Feldenkrais (Awareness Through Movement). I was taught how to carry my body and walk so that it is not so painful. I really recommend that.

I've been tested for diabetis & thyroid. I've seen a neurologist, had a MRI and rocker bottom shoes. I've seen all total 7 doctors, and don't feel that I have found an expert. My most recent doctor has injected the area a few times and the last time I had good results meaning that since I had complete relieve for a day, surgery could be successful.

I was thrilled to receive your information. What is TTS? Thank you so much for your response. What is your history?

John King on 7/17/04 at 17:37 (155702)

I would go to the best pain clinic in your area. Maybe they can at least relive your pain to some extent while you search for answers. Chronic pain is a bear and I know. I would also talk to a psychiatrist who deals with patients who suffer from chronic pain. You need support and some new ideas and don't let these cut happy surgeons do any more harm to you until you have your head on staight.

John King on 7/17/04 at 17:42 (155703)

Clarie

There must be something about foot pain that sends us all doctor hunting. What I would say is don't let them cut on you until you get 3 second opinions. They cannot Uncut you. The doc may fix one problem and create an even worse one. I am 54 and pretty well crippled up from various injuries and Agent Orange exposure. If you are young you have time to heal and you may just heal without surgery.

Donna on 7/22/04 at 02:20 (156024)

Hi Claire, I am a psych nurse and am ready to check myself in the mental ward. I have been suffering from Morton's Neuroma for the last two years, have had shots(cortisone) orthotics and recently had the new cryo surgery and am in so much pain tonight after coming home from my shift. Don't want to have the real surgery if its going to fail. If you would like to reach me I am at( (email removed)) if you would like to chat.........Donna

Re: Donna

Darlene on 7/22/04 at 12:54 (156061)

Would you mind sharing more information on the foot freezing? When did you have it done? Where did you have it done? Did it provide any relief at all?

Thanks.

Darlene

Amy K. on 8/04/04 at 08:53 (156897)

I was recently diagnosed with Cubiod Syndrome. My Xrays showed nothing, and after my MRI's, my podiatrist diagnosed me with this. I had a bruise on my cubiod bone. I work retail and often zig zag throught he aisles if the store. My doctor said most likely I have had this all my life, and upon reflecting, I remembered easily twisting my ankle walking through the snow in snow boots. I used to be in dancing when I was younger, and liked to see how long I could walk around on my toes (the balls of my feet). Sports medicine in high school told me I had bad ankles and told me I should do these exercises with elastic/ rubber bands, but being the typical teenager, I did thm a couple of times, and quit. Now that I am 28, I am not nearly as active as I was in high school, therefore my muscles are not nearly the same. My doctor put me in a walking cast (removable cast) for 5 weeks, and now I am strapping my foot with tape, using tape spray and athletic tape after each time I shower, followed by an ace bandage wrap, and am on a sneaker pass for work. I threw out all my heels.. never again! The strapping technique might help you: You will need the assistance of another person to spray the tape spray on your foot, and tape it. First make sure your foot is clean and dry. Have the other person spray the spray on the bottom of the foot and sides, close enough that it tickles and is cold. Let the spray dry.. it may drip off your foot, so put some newspaper or something on the floor underneath as you are doing this. The tape spray can be found at a sporting goods store. You might want to call around before going to one, as not too many stores carry it. Use 2 1/2' athletic tape and begin taping under the joint of the little toe on the side/ upside of the foot (do not tape the joint of the little toe itself because this will cause your little toe to turn outwards.. painful!! .. proceeding around the foot, towards the heel, going right by the cuboid bone. Continue to wrap around the exterior of the heel and proceed to the other side of the foot, and up to the ball of the foot, near the big toe. After this tape is secure, begin to tape (strap the foot) applying the beginning of a piece of tape on the exterior of the foot, to the tape already applied, by the heel area and pull tightly, securely, and rip off tape and secure it to the other side of the foot where the tape is already on the other side. Continue to do this up the foot ( make sure the strapping is secure, tight especially near the cuboid bone. Remember, exterior, to interior. The tape does not go around the entire foot (you do not loop it over/under at all) when you reach your arch area, and up to your big toe, have the person taping you or yourself, pull forward (towards you) on your big toe as to secure the arch in your foot. When done taping, wrap with a 2 1/2' ace bandage, and I wear New Balance walking sneakers on top of all this. I had to buy wide sneakers to accomadate the wrapping, and New Balance usually runs a size smaller, so buy at least 1/2 size higher if not 1 size higher.. whichever feels better. I have been strapping with tape now for 3 weeks, and the cuboid bone appears flush with my foot, as my other foot it is still sticking out. My posture is something I must be aware of now.. I am a foot dragger, and hear the echo of my doctors voice saying, Amy, USE YOUR KNEES! Nurses shoes did not seem comfortable at all. Walking on a flat surface with the strapping in the sneakers feels wonderful, the only problems I have had is on slope or if I don't use my knees and trip or accidently step on something pointy, like a rock or something. It has been a pain to plan showering, and my husband strapping me up, but not as painful as trying to get around without all this. My doctor reccommended Physical therapy.. if I felt like it, and I have been throwing around the idea of going, but as seeing that not too many here with this syndrome have had any help from physical therapy, I am reluctant to go. If anyone knows any kind of exercises for this condition that have helped them, please let me know. I wish you all the best of luck with our similar condition, and hope this tape 'strapping' technique helps you as it has me.
GOOD LUCK!

Mark D on 8/08/04 at 09:06 (157193)

Dear Claire and Janet, You both are certainly NOT alone with your neuromas and stump neuromas. Five years ago I had an operation to remove
bilateral neuromas, which both developed into stump neuromas.
I had the right one operated on again 2 and 1/2 years ago and it is now 10 times worse, with a mass of painful scar tissue there instead! I've lost faith in all surgery and wish I'd never gone the FIRST time, let alone the second! We have to hold out hope for a
cure of sorts in the future, some drug or treatment which can remove this harmful tissue without damaging the tendons/fat pad. In the meantime I spend a lot of time sitting down and enjoy that evening scotch after work! Don't lose hope. From what I understand the body continually remodels itself and adjusts to new conditions. So does the brain. I think about Christopher Reed to make myself feel happier. Best regards

Susan R on 1/22/05 at 23:03 (167748)

WOW...

I have had MN for about two years and just got the diagnosis yesterday for it. The options offered where cortisone and surgery. Since my nueroma is so large they do not hold out much hope for cortisone and they could only get a quarter of the injection in yesterday. I did some research on Schlerosis, EDIN and Cryo and was kinda hopeful until I tripped across this board and now I am considering just suffering forever with what I got now! Have any of you had the alcohol injections to kill the nerve? If so what are you like now?

Thanks for any advice!

Susan

Elena C on 3/01/05 at 10:13 (170200)

Hi there

Have just completed thr fourth alcohol injection and the pain has completely subsided. I had three a year ago and another just recently prior to a ski trip. I am delighted with the results as surgery was the only other option.

Good luck

Tim R. on 5/28/05 at 10:00 (175836)

Donna,
I would appreciate knowing more about Cryo surgery for Moton's neuroma. Have you had any success and would you recomend it?