Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Diagnostic Ultrasound Machine

Posted by Darlene on 7/06/04 at 14:02 (154626)

I'm wondering what the name of the machine is. Does it show the ligaments in the foot?

Thank you.

Re: New Diagnostic Ultrasound Machine

Elyse B on 7/06/04 at 14:17 (154628)

Darlene, after 4 months of dealing with what I thought was PF and what 3 different podiatrists diagnosed as PF without any diagnostic tests, the last one I went to (who was not covered by insurance) said he is not sure I even have it. He said my x-rays are clear and my feet felt okay so he wants me to have a diagnostic ultrasound test. It is almost impossible to get an appointment, I have to wait until 7/28. What a bummer if I have been treating this wrong for all this time because I was misdiagnosed. In any case, it is a doppler ultrasound for the appl.ication of quantitative techniques to estimate soft tissue blood flow in pathological states of the msculoskeletal system. It is a Power Doppler imaging system which is a new form of ultrasonic blood flow detection methods. So far the only place I have seen it is at a hospital or specialized radiology center.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/07/04 at 10:09 (154728)

Elyse:
We generally use diagnostic ultrasound in the office to look directly at the fascia -- thickness and quality. I am aware of dopplers used to measure blod flow but tend to doubt that that is the type of device that would benefit you.
Ed

Elyse B on 7/07/04 at 10:35 (154731)

Thanks Dr. Ed, I am just wondering why this particular podiatrist recommended the test since I never heard of it. It seems overly excessive. Are you saying that this particular diagnostic ultrasound would benefit PF patients? I hate that I am getting so much conflicting information.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/07/04 at 16:04 (154785)

Elyse:

I beleive that the standard diagnostic ultrasound machine can give one a good look at the plantar fascia. I cannot see the reason for an ultrasound machine that measures blood flow in the case of PF.

The diagnosis of PF is generally made clinically but if the problem persists one must question the diagnosis (true for most conditions)-- then it is time to do ultrasound.
Ed