Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

7 days post-op, have a few questions!

Posted by Karen C. on 7/06/04 at 18:42 (154664)

Hello everyone. So far I must say that I've been okay. Pain has been tolerable thus far. Today I've had more pain than ever but I'm assuming that's because the nerves are starting to wake up. My biggest ordeal with surgery was getting my IV started. After 7 sticks, I was about ready to get up and walk out!! My doctor called the procedure Tarsal Tunnel, Partial plantar fasciatis, and removal of bone spur. Whats the difference in full and partial plantar fasciatis?

Have many of you attended PT after surgery? Do you find it a must? My doctor said it all depended on how I was doing. I go back next week to have stitches out.

Another question...how long were in you a splint/cast? I'd like to know what to expect. I know every doctor is different as is individual recovery.

How long have you felt the need for pain medication? As I said, I've done well with only about 2 pain pills a day but I'm assuming that my need for pain meds may increase as things wake up.

Hope you all are doing well!
Karen

Re: 7 days post-op, have a few questions!

Terri on 7/07/04 at 06:19 (154707)

Karen, I wish you well during your recovery period. Don't push it, you'll have to be very patient now.

As far as p.t. goes, I'm a firm believer in it. Again, it's up to your dr and your progress as to when you start, but you really will need it to get yourself moving again.

I was in a partial cast for 2 weeks, then went to a boot for a month, completely non-weight bearing for the first month. I found a wheelchair with leg extensions to be a great blessing, helping to keep the foot elevated almost constantly.

I don't know anything about p.f., you may be able to find something on the other boards about that, or go to 'ask the dr' and see if they can explain it If not, ask your dr next week when you have the stitches out.

Let us know how you progress!

chrisb on 7/07/04 at 12:36 (154759)

Karen I wish you the best for your recovery. It takes patience, patience, and patience. I had TTS release (in March), which is only a part of what you have had, and I didn't neeed any pain pills. But I found swelling to be the hardest thing to get under control. It took a lot of ibuprofen and keeping my foot evelated all the time for the first 2 weeks, then after that I was able to get to the bathroom and back to the sofa without serious swelling but more than 3 or 4 minutes with my foot down was impossible for quite awhile. Even now I get some swelling.
My surgeon was Dr Dellon and his post-surgery regimen was to have me put weight on the foot right away after surgery. Doctors seeem to differ radically in this, so your surgeeon may have other ideas. My stitches didn't come out for 3 weeks. I was in a soft big bandage for the first week, then a gauze wrap until the stitches went, then just socks & a soft slipper. Dellon recommended no p.t.
take this opportunity to read alll those novels you never had tome for before.

Ann L on 7/07/04 at 13:23 (154764)

Hi Karen,

I had pretty much the same surgery as you, but on both feet, and with an extra surgery on each foot - on my right, bunionectomy and on my left, excision of a morton's neuroma. As far as the partial plantar fascia release, my doctor explain that if he completely released the fascia, there would be nothing left to support my arches, so he left them attached in two places.

As far as pain medicine - I don't think I would have required as much as I did if I had not had the bunionectomy. Those first two weeks were extremely painful, but not at my ankles. I have recently had to change medicines - switched from neurontin to topamax, which seems to be helping -and added ultracet back to make it easier to tolerate the increase in activity. My nerves are wide awake and definitely talking back, but my doctors (surgeon and podiatrist) both told me to expect it, and to expect it to improve. I am just over 4 1/2 months post-op, but many say they felt much better after 6 to 8 months.

I was in casts for 2 1/2 weeks from ankle bone to past my toes - could still move my ankles. The casts and stitches were removed at that visit then I wore boots for 4weeks - absolutely no walking without my boots and minimal walking at that. At 6 weeks post-op, I started PT and slowly started weaning out of my boots. My doctor's goal was for me to be out of the boots for my 10 week visit. I am a very firm believer in PT. It has been difficult and I had a long ways to catch up from, but I am getting stronger because of the time I spent there.

Ann

Karen C. on 7/08/04 at 15:19 (154870)

It's been 9 days now and I'm starting to wean down on my pain meds. I've been able to go back and forth to the bathroom but that's it! By the time I'm back in my chair, my toes are purple. It's hard to tell about the swelling. I have a half cast from toes to knee then wrapped with a large ace bandage. Stitches come out Monday then I can see things better. I'm not sure what he will put me in then. I can wiggle my toes around and flex them back and forth with no pain. That's better than before surgery. I'm trying to keep positive thoughts about recovery in hopes that things will continue to improve. Unfortunately, I must return to work in 1 week. It will be for 4 hours a day 2 days a week. I plan on keeping my foot elevated as much as possible. I have a wheel chair but do not have the leg extender. From past posts, maybe I should find one??

Thanks for all of your support!
Karen

Dr. Z on 7/08/04 at 15:55 (154873)

Karen,

What surgical procedure did you have?

Karen C. on 7/11/04 at 19:41 (155133)

I had surgery for Tarsal Tunnel (don't know what the exact name is for that particular procedure), partial plantar fasciatis, and a bone spur removed.

Karen