Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

injury to heel

Posted by Gail C on 7/07/04 at 14:12 (154768)

A few days ago, my husband jumped into an inground concrete pool hitting his left heel on the bottom. Since then, he has not been able to walk on that foot because he has pain when applying pressure to that heel. He is also swollen below and forward of the ankle bone mostly on the inner side and some on the outer side of the foot. There is discoloration in the swollen areas. He finally went to the emergency room on day 3 and they took an x-ray. They said they didn't see anything, but perhaps there is a hairline fracture that isn't visible due to the swelling. They suggested he see an orthopedist if the pain and swelling continue after a week.

Since he's a diabetic I'm a little worried about the wait and see attitude. Someone mentioned this could also be plantar fasciitis.

Are his symptoms in line with fracture or tendon/ligament injury? What would be the difference in symptoms?
Should we wait and see if this gets better with just rest?
Is there a difference because he's diabetic?

Thank you

Re: injury to heel

Dr. Z on 7/07/04 at 14:17 (154772)

Hi

So long as there isn't any cuts in the skin and the swelling hasn't increased into his leg I would RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and elevation and use a crutch to stay off his foot. Try to move the ankle and foot very gently when sitting and resting to stimulate circulation and provide range of motion. Look for increase swelling. This could take two weeks before he can place weight on the foot. Call your doctor if any doubts