Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cuboid syndrome HELP! Treatment Options?

Posted by Tom W. on 7/07/04 at 16:28 (154787)

I had Partial Plantar release in my right foot about 4 and a half months ago. The pain today has now traveled from my arch (which i had for years) to the outside of my foot and all the way up my leg. I'm told it is cuboid syndrome. The orthotics i had before surgery dont do anything and i even got 2 new ones made after surgery already which have done nothing. Physical Therapy isn't working and i've been to 3 different podiatrists since the surgery who cant seem to do a damn thing for me. And on top of all this i have horrible pf on the other foot that i've tried everything in the book for and im afraid to get surgery on that one because i dont want the same thing to happen on both feet. I'm about to have a nervous breakdown! I'm 25 years old and i feel like a 85 year old cripple. Does anyone have any advice or anything? It would be greatly appreciated! Help! What kind of treatments are out there that i havent tried yet for the cuboid?
Thank You....
*tom

Re: Cuboid syndrome HELP! Treatment Options?

Steve G on 7/07/04 at 18:31 (154802)

Tom - the lateral column problem has been discussed a few times on this board - Do a search on 'lateral column pain' 'cuboid syndrome', lateral column overload'. The treatments include PT, joint manipulations, orthodic adjustment, etc. The search will give you information about the nature of the problem, treatment options, etc

Kathy in Ky on 7/07/04 at 18:38 (154803)

I had Cuboid problems about 2 weeks ago & went to a chiropractor. (this was sort of my last effort) I've had 3 treatments consisting of adjustment, ultra sound & electronic stimulation- the bone problems have stopped. I still have very tender arch areas but definitely notice a difference in bone pain. Good luck!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/07/04 at 21:09 (154812)

Tom:

Treatment of cuboid syndrome may include injection of the calcaneo-cuboid joint with a local anesthetic plus cortisone, manipulation of the joint, redesigned orthotics to support the joint.

You are very young to have intractable plantar fasciitis. Usually, this does not have to be treated surgically -- see Scott's Heel Pain Book.
Ed