Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lance Armstrong! Lance Armstrong!

Posted by Dorothy on 7/08/04 at 15:48 (154872)

I forgot to mention that I LOVE Lance Armstrong, find his story inspiring, and am rooting heartily for him to make history this year!!

(I am not old enough to have heard the Jack Armstrong radio programs when they were new, but I have heard 'old-time radio' recordings of them and love them and they used to open the program with Jack Armstrong! Jack Armstrong! - hence the reference applied to Lance. And as an aside, I do so hope that he is never found to have 'doped' as the French so sourly accuse him of doing. I just can't believe that he would do that, with all of the severe health problems he has had and ovecome - but I would be very sad if it would ever prove to be true. I don't think it is true though. What a guy!! I have long maintained that he is one of the people who might inspire all of us, including us foot/ankle/back people, to keep on pluggin' even when the odds seem rough. I think John H might be in that same inspiring vein...)

Disclaimer: Not a doctor, not a dentist, not a veterinarian, not a sports reporter, not a bicyclist, not a sports afficiando, not a radio repair person, not a DJ, not Pauline, not a relative of Lance, not a friend of Bill, not a fan of Sheryl Crow (Lance's girlfriend). :-) :-) :-)

Re: Lance Armstrong! Lance Armstrong!

Pauline on 7/08/04 at 16:16 (154874)

Dorothy,
Everyone knows you are not me. I doubt you'd ever be accused of that.

My medical desclaimer:
I am not a doctor nor Dorothy who is in love with Lance Armstrong and claims not to know Jack Armstrong. Anyone reading this post should know that I cannot verify of the latter, but I do know that Dorothy would not want to be me.

Dorothy on 7/08/04 at 22:41 (154897)

You are right but only because I don't think any of us should really want to be anyone else. Having said that, I can add that I enjoy and respect your posts very much and share some of what I think is your attitude about doctor-patient relationships and related matters in the whole health care arena. I think you do various helpful things here but one of them is to remind people to be skeptical and careful and smart about their own health care. You promote self-empowerment and that is a very good thing.

p.s. I'm not 'in love' with Lance Armstrong, but I think I love Lance Armstrong! :-)

Kathy G on 7/09/04 at 08:41 (154909)

I remember all the controversy that erupted when SI named him 'Sportsman of the Year' a few years ago. They gave the figures on his physical endurance and body fat ratio at the time and there was no athlete in any other sport that came close to him. He was in superb physical condition. Someone like John H or my son, who's as much of a sports nut, would probably remember those figures.

I, too, am rooting for him. It's too bad that everytime he races, talk of his using steroids rears its ugly face. If he had ever used any performance-enhancing susbstance, it certainly would have been revealed by now as no athlete has been so closely scrutinized. I think they just have to accept the fact that he's gotten this way through hard work and dedication - and all this following a bout with potentially fatal cancer. He's amazing.

Don't you wonder what drives someone to punish his body the way he does? I sometimes wonder about his psyche. He already lost one wife on account of his single-minded dedication to his training. I'd love to see a psychological study done on him. In his case, it's not the money like it is with some professional athletes because his sport doesn't pay as much. He's a fascinating, enigmatic individual.

john h on 7/09/04 at 11:07 (154933)

Supprisingly the most well conditioned athletes according to various medical studies is the Jockey. They have virtually no fat and are very strong from holding those powerfuld horses in check. They work out constantly to keep their weight down and have the best of diets.

Lance Armstrong is a driven man and does what ever it takes to achieve his goals. I persoanlly do not believe he has abused steriods. I think he has to much pride to win any way but the right way. To be the best in the world at anything requires something most of us do not even understand or comprehend. I would think Lance's body fat must be in the 3% range and I bet his resting pulse rate to be in the 50's. I would be interested to know what is the highest pulse rate he achieves during his climb in the mountains. When I was running a lot I wore a watch that measured my pulse. When running up a very steep hill which was about 1 mile I would push over 170-180. I doubt if Lance gets anywhere near that due to his conditioning.

john h on 7/09/04 at 11:11 (154935)

I think that radio program opened with 'Jack Armstrong the All American Boy'.

I also enjoyed 'Our Gal Sunday' a woman from a little mining town in the west who married Englands most rich and famous Lord Henry --------?