Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

free Birks for the asking...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 7/08/04 at 16:43 (154876)

Hello, Everyone!

During my three years of recovering from plantar fasciitis, I, like many of you, have tried a number of shoes to find what worked for me. I am now quite happy with Arizonas for getting out of bed and house slippers, Santee Birks (unfortunately only found on the German site!)for summer, Annapolis and Madera for winter, and SAS with SuperFeet inserts for long walking.

I have cleaned out my closet and am ready to offer three pairs of Birks to the first person who e-mails me at sdennis @ hardin.k12.ky.us (without the spaces, of course). I will gladly send them free to someone who would like to try them. Shoes for PF represent a big expense, and if I can help others, I will be happy to box them up and send them along.

Here's what I have to offer:

Boston Birks, dark brown suede, size 43 narrow (I tried them many times but just not for me. My thin foot keeps slipping out of the back, even with thick socks. They're still in good shape.)

Birkis sandals, off-white, 2 narrow straps (sorry; don't know the name), size 42 narrow. I have worn these just a few times. I bought them on sale about a month after buying my Arizonas. They are not soft-footbed, and they just don't feel as good as my other sandals.

Florida Birks, black suede, size 42 narrow (In the closed-toe shoes, I wear a 43 narrow, but my Arizonas are 42s as my foot slips forward to get the arch in the right position. I have found that with the size 42 sandal, I need a regular rather than a narrow.) These have not been worn but a few times.

Just let me know if you are interested! I'll be gone tonight but will check my e-mail late tonight or tomorrow. Please mention 'Free Birks' in the subject line so I don't accidentally delete!

Suzanne :)

Re: why arizonas???

Marty in SLC on 7/08/04 at 18:08 (154881)

That is so nice of you suzanne. Let me ask you why do most prefer Arizonans???

Suzanne D. on 7/08/04 at 22:13 (154893)

Marty, I guess it could be described as the 'basic' Birkenstock. It comes in a wide range of sizes and is for men and women. The buckles on the straps can be adjusted to help with fit, and there is more arch support than in some of the Birkenstocks.

The Arizona is the first style I bought, and it did help me recover because of the arch support, primarily. It is not my favorite Birkenstock now, but I will always be grateful for the help those sandals gave me at the acute stage of my PF.

Hope this helped answer your question!

Re: thanks

Marty in SLC on 7/08/04 at 22:41 (154896)

Oh ok, thanks

Re: one pair spoken for...

Suzanne D. on 7/09/04 at 08:42 (154910)

I had an e-mail requesting the Florida Birks but still have the Bostons and the off-white Birkis for anyone who wants to try them.

john h on 7/09/04 at 09:49 (154922)

Marty I have tried about 5 different Birk styles and like most who report on this board like the Airizona best. Lately I have been using the soft bed airizona. they are very easy to get in and out of and seems to conform to your foot the longer you wear them.

Oh yes! I look very cool in them (without socks). Sort of takes me back to the 60's. If I only had a VW bus and the hair I had in the 60's. When I was a teen with hair to spare crew cuts were in. When long hair was popular in the 60's I was in the military and long hair would not work with a fighter pilots helmet. After I retired I was in the air base gym in little rock when the base commander came up to me and advised me my hair was a little shaggy and to get it cut. was i ever proud! i said sorry colonel but I am retired

lauriel on 7/09/04 at 17:16 (154994)

thats so nice, birks kill me. I have a closet full of various almost new shoes that cant be worn, they feel comfy in the store but when I walk, OUCH. my lastest pair were these SAS sandals oh they felt so good in the store, so I plopped down $120, well I wore them one day and my PF was killing me. thank god it was a reputable shoe store that took them back and refunded me

laurie

marie on 7/09/04 at 18:33 (155008)

Marty you need to get a pair of Arizonas. You may find them helpful. I tried a pair because of the urging by everyone here and they were a major part of my recovery. I would suggest ordering from Birkenstock Central. Do a quick search for their site and request a catalog. You'll get some great info on them there.

marie

Marty in SLC on 7/09/04 at 23:12 (155016)

so what can you wear?

Janice N on 7/10/04 at 09:21 (155029)

That was very nice of you to do that. I don't have a narrow foot. Birks came out with some nice looking shoes this past yr. So you get comfort and a little better style too. I turn on QVC when the segment of Birks come on. i like to see all the new ones that came out. Window shopping via tv. I had one pair many yrs ago. I went with a friend one time when she bought a pair. She came out with them and complained she shouldn't have bought a pair of shoes for $100.00. She really didn't have the money to be spending after a very manic spending spree of clothes. (A real manic episode of spending). Well it turned out to be the best 100 bucks she ever spent. Three yrs later it was still the one pair of shoes she wore. I think it was the old Aizonia stye too.

Vern S. on 7/12/04 at 09:53 (155154)

If you happen to be near Novato,Ca., you might check out Birkenstocks warehouse sale July 17 & 18. Discounted overuns.

Re: shoes all taken...

Suzanne D. on 7/12/04 at 10:57 (155162)

The lady who asked for the Florida Birks wrote later to say that if no one else asked (they didn't) for the other pairs, she would be glad to take them and then pass them along to someone else if she could not wear them.

So they are in the mail and on the way to her with good wishes that they help her feet!

Re: Suzanne - Birks Arrived !!!

Anne L on 7/18/04 at 02:20 (155738)

Suzanne,

The Birks arrived safely. The delivery was so quick. I will start wearing the Floridas first. Ooooh, the suede straps are so supple and comfy. The soft footbeds are a dream.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you so very much!

Have a great weekend!