Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel - Kinder Procedure (extra bone in foot)

Posted by Dee on 7/09/04 at 11:46 (154940)

Two months ago I had the Kinder Procedure performed to remove an extra bone in my foot (under my big toe). My cast was placed on too tight and removed after 4 days. Since my surgery I have had problems with circulation - I could not keep my foot down longer than 5 minutes before it turned purple, went numb, and the ankle felt like it was going to blow up. I have been on Nuerotin and anti-imflammatory drugs - I am doing better. BUT I have the tingling on the inside ankle consistent with the tarsal tunnel and the bottom of toes are numb. I am being tested next week for Taral.
Has anyone ever had similar experience after Kinder Procedure?
Could Tarsal Tunnel be the result of this surgery?

Re: Tarsal Tunnel - Kinder Procedure (extra bone in foot)

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/09/04 at 14:44 (154970)

Dee:
Your foot is not responding normally to the Kidner procedure. What has your surgeon said? A nerve conduction velocity test could be done to help check for TTS but I would also be on the lookout for RSDS (reflex sympathetic dystrohy) -- mention that to your surgeon as it can be easy to overlook in its early stages.
Ed

Dee on 7/09/04 at 15:46 (154981)

I am having a nerve conduction test on Tuesday, but I will mention this RSDS to him - can you give me more explanation of its symptoms?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/04 at 11:06 (155165)

Dee:
RSDS or CRPS type 1 involves excessive pain including swelling and possibly changes in color. Its origins are not well understood but seem to be induced by a nerve injury.
Ed

Dee on 7/15/04 at 15:47 (155553)

I just got the report from my nerve testing - it found abnormalities in the leg but not specific to one nerve area (I think I'm restating this correctly) -- so my doctor's diagnosis is RSDS. But from what I've read, you should not be able to tell that from nerve testing, only symptoms (which I do have) and imaging of the foot. Is that correct? So is there something else that can cause these nerve abnormalities?

Darlene on 7/15/04 at 16:51 (155559)

Here's a great link for RSD:
http://www.rsdrx.com/rsdpuz4.0/puz_49.htm