Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Now I am really confused

Posted by Elyse B on 7/09/04 at 15:55 (154983)

went to the Hospital for Special Surgery yesterday and had ultrasound on my feet because Podiatrist No. 3 felt a little hazy about a diagnosis of PF for my feet. Podiatrists Nos. 1 and 2 never mentioned ultrasound to me and frankly I did not even know that one could have that test. Ergo, the radiologist says 'hmmm, I don't see PF in your feet and if so, it is soooo mild.' Duh?

So I guess the pain in my feet is a figment of my imagination as I stare at 2 nightsplints, 3 pairs of orthotics, 1 slant board, 100 different types of innersoles, 4 pairs of sneakers, 1 pair of Birks.

Re: Now I am really confused

Marty from SLC on 7/09/04 at 15:58 (154985)

have you been tested for TTS?

Dorothy on 7/09/04 at 16:53 (154990)

Elyse - What are they saying is going on? Has anyone detected any fractures or anything like that? Any evidence of arthritis? I hope you get some good, solid information that you can build on for restoration of health.

Place on 7/09/04 at 17:02 (154991)

You might want to get some testing for other problems like what Dorothy and Marty stated. Even if they are dead ends, you can cross them off your list of possible problems and narrow your focus to find a solution. Does your graston person find any scar tissue? I might be wrong but I think arthritis shows up in MRI's I did get one of those and it showed some inflimation in my big toe but did not show anything for my PF. Dr. Sandell also found some possible arthritis (I am only 28!) in the same spot without any knowledge of my MRI results! Freaky!

john h on 7/10/04 at 09:22 (155030)

Elyse: This is no figment of your imagination. I have posted repeatedly over the years that the greatest problem in dealing with PF is finding out what is the 'pain generator'? People and experts have various opinions such as inflamed fascia, baxter nerve, spurs, tts, etc but the fact is only rarely can a Doctor point to precisely what is causing your pain. If they could we might all be cured. We cut the fasca, remove spurs, blast the fascia with high energy waves, change the way we walk using orthotics, take drugs, massage the fascia, cast the foot, use accupuncture, use heat, use cold, and play mind control games and our feet still hurt or even hurt more. People somehow do find ways to get better or cured by hook or crook.

Re: swollen fascia

Pete R on 7/10/04 at 10:30 (155043)

Does this have to show on an MRI to say you categorically have pf ? Would scar tissue show up....don't think so. My experience tends to suggest that pod's / surgeons disount pf when an MRI is normal, as is mine. However, I think they maybe wrong from reading what the doc's have said on here before.

Any comments ?

john h on 7/11/04 at 09:39 (155101)

Many post are discussing an MRI as a diagnois for PF. From what I read an MRI cannot diagnsis PF as PF can be caused by a variety of problems. There is no gold standard fool proof diagnostic tool for PF. this is where the 'art' in mecicine comes in. We have a lot of wonderful medical diagnostic tools and I think we often think they can do more than they can. As often as not they are as good as the operatior.

Pauline on 7/11/04 at 16:56 (155122)

If this is indeed the case John then a lot of doctors out there
are having patients get MRI's to diagnose P.F. for nothing. Think back how many times we saw get an MRI done for P.F.

Zingas was doing ultrasound for diagnosis long before it became popular on this site, but you know when a doctor pushes on the target area for P.F. and the patient jumps off the table personally I think the diagnosis is pretty well defined.

John from MN on 7/11/04 at 17:26 (155123)

With my PF, I could feel where it was on my foot. The utrasound is a great way to detect PF because it resonates in your hand when you are on top of the scaring. On top of that it hurt like mad when the ultrasound was on a heavily scared area. After ESWT the nerves in my feet got very sensative.

I am not an MRI experet but my doc says the MRI does not help much for PF. I can only take his word for that.

A good doctor should be able to feel your foot and find the PF. All this high tech stuff should not replace the old fation touch and fell method.

MRI's sure make the doctors a lot of money. I could have fixed all my PF for the price on an MRI on both feet. Somebody's got to pay for the machine. Thats why they have them.

Elyse B on 7/12/04 at 08:51 (155151)

thanks for all your responses.

john h on 7/12/04 at 11:07 (155166)

Pauline: I have no idea what an MRI can show about PF. From what I have read not very much. I have seen about 7 Doctors mostly foot and ankle MD's and three Podiatrist. None ever advised an MRI. Seems an MRI might be a good tool to rule out a small stress fracture which Doctors often look for in their initial diagnosis. Most all do the x-rays looking for heelspurs which sometimes can be symptomatic for PF but then at other times have nothing to do with PF pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/04 at 20:20 (155250)

Exactly. The main value of an MRI, in my view, would be to look for other causes of heel pain such as a stress fracture. It would also show thickening of the fascia, although that can be shown by sonogram.