Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctors what do you think?

Posted by Darlene on 7/09/04 at 18:15 (155002)

I have nerve type pain in the balls and heels of my foot post nerve decompression surgery.

I think it may be that the neuroma pain has caused me to alter my gait which is putting pressure in the tt area which is affecting the balls of my foot.

My colleague mentioned that I should see a neurologist for nerve pain.

Who should it be - Neurologist or Podiatrist?

Re: Doctors what do you think?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/10/04 at 13:03 (155054)

Darlene:
What type of nerve decompression surgery did you have done?
Ed

Re: Dr. Davis

Darlene on 7/10/04 at 17:34 (155062)

I had the Koby Surgical release and have had dramatically increased pain ever since.

Re: Dr. Davis

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/04 at 10:29 (155160)

Darlene:
If this was performed for Morton's neuroma, it is possible that the procedure needs to be redone so another podiatrist would need be consulted. It is used as an alternative to removing the neuroma. Not something that I am enthusiastic about.
Ed

Re: Dear Dr. Davis

Darlene on 7/12/04 at 11:49 (155174)

Yes it was performed for Morton's neuroma. I too am not enthusiastic about it. I wish I would have talked to you first. I will definitely no repeat the procedure.

What do you think of freezing the neuroma?

If I now have pain in the tarsal tunnel area due to my altered gait, how could I prevent it from going further? Is minimizing my weight bearing time during the day the best approach?

Thank you in advance.

Darlene

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/12/04 at 18:38 (155233)

Darlene:

Freezing of the neuroma is sufficiently new that I don't have a lot of information about the results. Nevertheless, why not just take it out?
Removing the neuroma works most of the time with few complications and modest down time. I am very interested in new procedures if they are invented to replace a problematic procedure such as plantar fascial release surgery. But if a procedure is simple, effective, with minimal complications I just don't see a compelling reason to find alternatives.

I use chemical neurolysis but do a limited number of 'tries.' If it was my foot, I would rather have a neuroma taken out once than have 5 injections into the neuroma -- again, just my preference.
Ed

Dr. Z on 7/13/04 at 08:07 (155276)

I agree with Dr. Ed. Take the neuroma out if in fact that is what is causing your pain. The key to a neuroma excision is to make the proper diagnosis. I have been observing the cryotherapy technique and will keep this board updated when I see some long term results personally.