Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Pat in IN on 7/10/04 at 22:20 (155082)

I recently found out I have PF. I have a three week vacation planned that will involve a lot of swimming. Is that good or bad for PF?

I used to walk 3 miles a day with friends, but haven't been able to do that for a few years now.

I am using the Foot Levelers orthodonics (5th Avenue type) and so far they have been very helpful.

I am hoping that the water will be good for the feet?

Re: Swimming

Dorothy on 7/11/04 at 02:30 (155093)

Many people here with PF find swimming to be the ONLY exercise they can do with any level of comfort. It enables people who can no longer do previously enjoyed activities like walking or running, for example, to stay fit and active and to continue an exercise program. In my humble, non-medical opinion, your three week vacation that involves a lot of swimming sounds wonderful! People with PF often find that it is the getting to and from the water that presents more of a problem than being in the water and most advise wearing a good, comfortable shoe for that purpose.

Pat in IN on 7/11/04 at 11:29 (155104)

Thanks so much, Dorothy. That's the best news I have heard in a while.

I like Air Nikes and I have some Air DeSchwitz sandels that should work fine for getting to the water. I used to wear them gardening.

Oddly, I do not like Berks at all. Didn't like them back in the 60's, and don't think I would find them any more comfortable now. Some people have told me they are great for PF, but I see in some posts on this board that I am not the only one not estatic about them.

I really look forward to the vacation.

Carolyn on 7/11/04 at 13:58 (155112)

Pat - i also hate birks, but have found that the rubber 'pacific' model to be my lifesaver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wear them almost 24/7 if I'm not in sneakers with custom orthotics. They are only $35. on qvc.com and you can return them if you dont like them. I wear them in the shower, to the pool, on the beach, in the garden , to the mall - everywhere and I have extremely bad PF in both feet for many years now. Good luck - Carolyn

Re: Swimming a

Pat in IN on 7/11/04 at 17:55 (155125)

Thanks for that info. I may check out those birks when I am on vacation as
there will probably be a store that stocks them there.

What do you wear for dress shoes? And if you want to wear a dress shoe heel with custom inserts can you wear more than a 2 inch heel? I noticed that the website for my custom inserts said that the dress inserts were for 2 inch heels. I wear a lot of dress shoes at work and am hoping I will be able to wear them with custom inserts.

I had a high narrow arch that has fallen I guess. I had foot pain, lumps on the bottom of my feet and blisters where the feet swelled up and rubbed against the shoes at the end of the day, but no one could figure out what it was until someone suggested I go to a choirpractor. I'm so glad I did. I knew I was not a hypochonrdiac. My feet hurt.

You said you have had PF for many years? I am hoping that wearing the custom inserts, doing foot exercises and following directions will result in the pain going away. It will get better. Does it never go away entirely even if it is 'cured' with the inserts, realignment?

I know QVC too well, but I usually don't watch the shoe segments because how the shoe fits depends on what size I buy and how the shoe fits depends on whether or not I will actually wear it. So, I don't like to buy shoes by mail. I used to have a triple A width foot, but not anymore.

Thanks for the response.

Janice N on 7/11/04 at 19:41 (155134)

I am a QVC watcher too. Saw the Birk shoes that are being talked about for the beach. I watch the shows with all the cute shoes I can't wear. I did buy a pair of Clark sandals not too long ago. They feel pretty good. And good prices.
I go to an indoor pool twice a wk for water exercises. I do leg exercises and then walk. I am fine as long as I don't walk for too long a period. I wear clog water shoes so I don't have pain from rubbing against my sore heel. The regular kind that are so popular are to form fitting on my heel. Found these backless ones at Walmart.
I went to my sister's pool the other day and had a hard time getting in and out of the pool. Otherwise it felt great. I am so afraid of falling. But at the pool at the Multi service center there is a long ramp you walk up to get into the pool. Only time I had any problem was a couple of wks ago when I got a cramp in my foot walking up the ramp. I hope you have a wonderful and painfree trip.

R C on 7/12/04 at 08:39 (155148)

Hey Pat,

I took up swimming a couple years ago after PF ended my daily running habit. I do 30 minutes of laps, usually 3 times a week. On other days, or when I can't get to the pool, I use a recumbent bike at home. Neither has done any harm to my feet. In fact, the health benefits of regular exercise have been quite significant (e.g., resting heart rate, weight control, blood pressure, and cholesterol). I must say that there seems to be something altogether magical about swimming -- something about working the entire body aerobically. At the pool I meet these 70 and 80-year olds who have bodies a 30-year old would die for. I urge you to consider doing it regularly. Enjoy your vacation!

Steve C. on 7/12/04 at 13:41 (155191)

I joined a gym with a lap pool after PF ended my running and bike riding habit. Doesn't hurt the feet a bit, and feels good to get the exercise.

I have a pair of thick shower shoes I walk to the pool with, actually walk into the water with them so I am not barefoot on the concrete with my full weight.

Kiki Prieto on 7/14/04 at 06:24 (155368)

Where do yoou get good shower shoes for men ?

Pat in IN on 7/14/04 at 18:31 (155454)

Thanks for the response. I can't keep shoes on my foot if they don't have a back strap or more than one strap on the front. If they have a front strap and a middle strap, sometimes I can keep them on my foot. I have a small narrow foot.

I'm looking forward to the trip and I anticipate being fine with the swimming.

Pat in IN on 7/14/04 at 18:37 (155457)

I would love to swim regularly, but there isn't a pool nearby and I live in the cold Midwest. I could drive to two health clubs, neither close, and I may decide to do that.

I jogged until I had to stop with skin splints and have considered that after reading here that all the walking (3 miles a day previously) and arobic tapes may have helped caused the PF. Now, I will be happy if I can garden and maybe do shorter walking (not 3 miles) with friends.

I have always loved swimming. Nothing beats it. It really does make me feel better!

I could build a pool, but I would HATE maintaining it, and I bet walking on cement maintaining it would not help the PF at all. I walk on too much cement now.

Thanks for the response. This is an interesting board for foot issues.

Sherry on 7/17/04 at 17:51 (155706)

Did it help your plantar facsitis?

RACHAEL T. on 7/18/04 at 21:28 (155794)

I swim daily now since PF hit me....& yes, it has helped me alot! I recommend it to any PF'r!!! It improves your leg & foot strength - but makes you emotionally much improved!

Buck T. on 8/01/04 at 16:24 (156719)

Hi Janice: Any tips on how you do water leg exercises? Thanks, Buck