Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Freezer Questions

Posted by Darlene on 7/11/04 at 17:29 (155124)

I read a little more information on the foot freezing method to treating neuromas. I'm wondering if the doctors could answer a couple of questions.
1. It appears that the treatment is done 'blind.' Is there a way to use an ultrasound at the same time to ensure the freezing is going to exactly the right spot?
2. Is there a way to avoid the deep transverse intermetatarsal ligament. I already had a ligament release (lower level) and would like to preserve what's left.
3. If the treatment lasts about a year, is the intent to go back for more freezing every year?
4. Does the freezing leave the inside of the toes numb like the neurectomy does?

Thank you for taking the time to read my message and respond.

Darlene

Re: Foot Freezer Questions

Dr. Z on 7/11/04 at 20:16 (155135)

1. The area is located by either experience and or electric stimulation
2. You can avoid this ligament or in some cases a small puncture is made the size of a 22 gauge needle. It don't damage the ligament
3. IF in the cases that it does come back it can be repeated
not all last only one year
4. You can have some numbness but not the same degree as in an excision of neuroma.

Re: Foot Freezer Questions

JudyB on 7/11/04 at 23:25 (155141)

This sounds like a very interesting treatment. Is there anyone in California doing this?