Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neuroma pain back

Posted by Rose on 7/12/04 at 22:24 (155259)

I had surgery on a neuroma a year ago. It was the release. It was not removed. It has been coming back more and more lately. It feels like electricity and burns a lot if anything hits the top of my foot. Is this usual for this newer procedure. What would you recommend I ask for at the surgeon's appointment? Thanks so mcuh.

Re: Neuroma pain back

Dr. Z on 7/13/04 at 07:47 (155273)

Hi

You will either have to wear wider shoes, or have the neuroma removed. I guess the question is should it be removed ?

Darlene on 7/13/04 at 10:45 (155297)

Rose:

What kind of release did you have? Was it the Koby Surgical ligament release with a small incision between your toes? That's what I had and it was unsuccessful. I heard that 30% of symptoms return after a year due to the scar tissue reattaching the ligament.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/13/04 at 11:42 (155306)

Rose:
Not removing the neuroma is not something I agree with. The ligament can regrow and you are back where you started. Consider a second opinion and have the neuroma removed if it is giving you trouble.
Ed

Rose on 7/14/04 at 09:49 (155398)

Yes, I think that is what I had. It is about a 2 inch scar starting between my 3rd and 4th toes on the top of my foot.

Rose on 7/14/04 at 09:51 (155399)

Thank you to everybody for your comments. I do wear very wide shoes. It even hurts in Birks, which are way too wide for me since I have narrow feet.

Darlene on 7/14/04 at 13:40 (155426)

It sounds like you had something different. My surgery was done 'blind' with a 1/4' incision.

You could have scar tissue attaching to the neuroma? Have you looked into osteopathy? It is a manual manipulation therapy which helps with scar tissue release.