Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suzanne D.

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 7/13/04 at 09:29 (155288)

Hi. Do you know if the Lexington Sam's has Birkenstocks? By the way, we went thru Elizabethtown Sunday night & I thought of you. We were returning from Vandy & stopped for gas your town. We didn't know about the chemical spill on Bluegrass Pkwy., so had to take the tiny crooked road detour behind a large semi-truck. Long drive home! We drove thru Bardstown on the way down, I want to return one day to look around in the antique stores. Does Elizabeth town have any good antique malls or stores?

Re: Suzanne D.

john h on 7/13/04 at 09:55 (155293)

Saw that spill on national TV. Twenty years ago I was manager for 5 national truck leasing facilites. One day one of my truck/tankers became missing in Fayettville, AR. It had 8000 gallons of diesel on board. I drove up to Fayetteville and drove the route he should have taken to our facility. Nothing. The only other way was a back road up a very steep hill with little to no traffic. Going up this hill I saw the back end of the tanker sticking straight up in the air in a deep ravine. Lights still blinking and the darn engine still running. Fuel was all over the place. The driver was missing so I turned the engine off on the turned over truck. 8000 gallons of diesel was running down the ravine which fed into a good size lake which further fed into a major Arkansas river. I immediately called for 40,000 lbs of hay to block off water comming out of the lake to prevent it from getting into the river and killing who knows what.The driver was not hurt and had walked about 5 miles to a country store and still had not called anyone.. He had missed a gear climbing the hill and the truck started rolling backwards and into the very steep ditch. In todays enviromental world they would have locked me up and thrown the keys away. Back then our Corporate lawyers handled it and the hay did contain the fuel in the lake but the farmer who owned the lake was awarded a substantial amount of money.

Suzanne D. on 7/14/04 at 10:44 (155408)

Kathy, I honestly don't know as I rarely get to Lexington to do any shopping. I go to Louisville more often than Lexington as it is closer, but I haven't been to Sam's since my PF began three years ago. It is such a huge store with concrete floors, and for some time I just could not have managed all that walking. When I began reading about Birks at Sam's stores, I figured that there would not be any with the soft-footbed, so I never checked that out.

Yes, Bardstown is a great town to visit, Kathy. There are many nice shops and restaurants as well as 'My Old Kentucky Home' and the outdoor musical, 'The Stephen Foster Story'.

Elizabethtown doesn't have too much in the way of nice antique shops, but the little town of Glendale (also in Hardin County and nearer to where I live than Elizabethtown) is full of little antique shops and has two nice restaurants - 'The Whistle Stop' (in a remodeled, old train depot) and 'The Depot'. They have 'Glendale Crossing Days' in October, with many, many temporary craft and food booths set up. It draws hundreds and hundreds of visitors each year.

As far as stores, Elizabethtown has a mall and also a new 'strip mall' with Old Navy, T.J. Maxx and the like. There are a couple of nice, old stores on the square downtown. And there are also stores like Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. on the road leading to the mall. There is a nice, old, family-owned shoe store where I buy my SAS shoes. I just wish they stocked Birkenstocks!

The Birk store in Louisville closed this spring although there's a shoe store in one of the malls there that carries a few Birks, but not many. That's why I rely on ordering.

If you're ever going to be in E-town for any length of time, e-mail me before you come, and I'll be glad to meet you somewhere if you'd like! I enjoyed meeting Bev who posts here sometimes when she and her husband came through Elizabethtown once on their travels.

Here's my e-mail (but leave out the spaces): sdennis @ hardin.k12.ky.us
I always tell anyone who e-mails me to put something in the subject line to let me know who they are so I don't accidentally delete it! Like most people, I receive many e-mails from senders I don't know, and I always delete those.

Suzanne :)

Kathy in Ky on 7/14/04 at 20:40 (155463)

Thanks for the info regarding all the antique shops. I am having a good week with my PF & it makes me want to do more things. Hopefully, that will continue. The ultra sound, electronic therapy & ligament massage from the chiropractor has really helped, I even been freezing corn & beans from the garden this week. If you are looking for the Birk store in Lexington, its located at Hamburg Place on Man O' War Blvd, it might be worth the drive.

Suzanne D. on 7/14/04 at 22:21 (155473)

Glad you are having a good week, Kathy! I'll make a note of the location of the Birk store in Lexington. Thanks for that information!

Suzanne :)