Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about getting new Orthotics

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 7/13/04 at 09:37 (155290)

Good news- my insurance company okayed new orthotics. I didn't realize that my old ones were lst cast in 1997! The old full orthotics are very hard & rigid. I think I need more foam in the back of the heel. For those of you who like their inserts, are the softer ones more successful than the rigid? I'm going to be wearing these mostly in walking shoes. I had dress orthos. prescribed about 2 yrs. ago but hardly ever wear them. They were designed differently, instead of casting my foot, I walked across an electronic pad that computer designed the insert. I'm definitely requesting the traditional casting instead of computer. My appointment is tomorrow- any suggestions?

Re: Question about getting new Orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 7/13/04 at 12:27 (155312)

The computer impression does not give a proper topography of the foot.
Stay traditional.

AndyO on 7/13/04 at 13:22 (155319)

Most new people with PF seem to prefer softer orthotics (like cork..not foam!) to the hard plastic type. My first pair were hard plastic, and I started wearing them at the height of my pain problem. They seemed to make me feel worse. A different podiatrist made a pair of cork inserts for me, and I wore them until the pain subsided, then continued to wear them. A few months later, I wore the hard ones again and they were fine.
I think that the softer ones are best when you first have the pain, and the hard ones are OK for maintenance after you have the problem under control.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/14/04 at 13:14 (155422)

This has been the subject of much discussion but almost everyone in the 'industry' agrees that a two dimensional pressure mat cannot determine the topography of a 3 diminsional object, ie. the foot.