Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Davis and Dr. Z.

Posted by Darlene on 7/13/04 at 11:02 (155299)

Thank you for answering my questions about foot freezer vs. neuroma removal. The reason I was looking into foot freezer is because I don't have the best circulation in the world and after my ligament release surgery I was very bruised and tender for some time.

My question today is -- my altered gait seems to be affecting me with tts type symptoms. Do you have any suggestions on how I could prevent this from progressing? I am wearing custom orthotics and I am trying to minimize my weight bearing activities.

Thank you.

Darlene

Re: Dr. Davis and Dr. Z.

Dr. Z on 7/13/04 at 11:39 (155304)

Hi
I would use an air cast. It will reduce the side to side motion of your ankle.
It is very important to have normal circulation whether it is a ligament release or a cyrotherapy procedure.

Re: Dr. Davis and Dr. Z.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/13/04 at 11:40 (155305)

Darlene:
If you suspect TTS, please have it checked out. Having bruising after surgery is not an indication of bad circulation; it is a function of how much internal bleediing occurred after the surgery.
Ed

Re: Dr. Davis

Darlene on 7/13/04 at 12:58 (155315)

I have had tests - nerve conduction, mri, ultrasound and all came back negative. I think I am putting pressure on the nerve because of my walking and am wondering what to do to prevent this from progressing.

Re: Dr. Z.

Darlene on 7/13/04 at 13:04 (155316)

What is an air cast and where would I get one? I have symptoms on both feet, but more on my surgical foot.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/13/04 at 14:20 (155326)

Darlene:
If the neuroma is still the problem, removing it would seem to make the most sense to me.
Ed

Re: Dr. Z.

Dr. Z on 7/13/04 at 14:43 (155334)

Go on the internet and look up . Langer labs. They have them. Not sure if you can buy them directly.
Another company is called Aircast. They are in Sumitt, New Jersey

Darlene on 7/13/04 at 15:24 (155340)

Thank you Dr. Davis.

What do you think about these secondary symptoms which appear to be gait-related? Should I try ultrasound therapy or just rest perhaps?

Darlene

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/13/04 at 20:00 (155358)

Darlene:
If the neuroma pain is what is throwing of your gait, then focusing on the cause is probably the best thing to do for now.
Ed