Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by June C on 7/14/04 at 14:17 (155429)

I am a 61 year old woman living in The Hague in the Netherlands. For some months now I have had very bad heel pain in my left heel. Now it is so bad that I can hardly stand without wanting to scream out in pain. In fact I have had to start using a walking stick. My chiropodist says I have heelspoor.
I did mention this at one time to my doctor before the pain became so intense as it is now.

I weigh 150 kilo so I realise that overweight has probably caused the problem as I have a desk job and do nothing on sport.

Of course I am desperately trying to lose weight now but is there anything I can do to ease the situation in the meantime because weightloss is not a short term solution.

I am planning a visit to my doctor and wonder if you could give me some suggestions as to what I can ask her.

I'd be very grateful for any advice you could give me.

Many thanks

June C

Re: Heelspoor

Pauline on 7/14/04 at 20:48 (155466)

I'm not a doctor, but have had 3 cases of plantar fasciitis. My first suggestion for you is to take time and read Scott's book on this site.
It's free and will provide you with a lot of information. That information alone will help you to formulate questions for your doctor.

You will come to learn that there is no magic bullet to rid yourself of this condition quickly. It's frustrating and painful, but most cases respond to conservative treatments. You will find a list of them in Scott's book and you can begin on them today. Things like taping your feet, gentle massage and Julie's yoga stretches, icing, contrast water baths, over the counter anti-inflamatories and others that are listed until you see your doctor.

Time and patience will become your best friends along with rest. Your doctor may have other suggestions for you to follow.

I think most of the posters here highly suggest that after seeing your doctor for an evaluation that you try all the conservative treatments first prior to considering any surgical solution for your problem if indeed it turns out to be plantar fasciitis.

Hope this post helps you and don't forget to read Scott's book.

Julie on 7/15/04 at 02:25 (155488)

June, the term 'heel spur' is often used to denote plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the plantar fascia, the ligamentous structure that connects the ball of the foot with the heel and is the main supporting structure of the foot. The 'spur', if it exists, is very rarely the cause of the pain.

There is a variety of conservative treatments for plantar fasciitis which you will find out about if you read the heel pain book, as Pauline suggested. It is by Scott Roberts, the webmaster of this site. If you click on the blue words you will be taken to it. It is worth an afternoon of your time reading and absorbing it. It will give you a better understanding of what you are dealing with, and plenty to discuss with your doctor when you see her.

You can also come back here to ask questions: you'll meet lots of people who have been through this.

Julie on 7/15/04 at 02:31 (155489)

Pauline, you often recommend Scott's book to new posters. But new posters don't know who Scott is, and unless they've come across the book already, they probably won't know what you're talking about. If you say 'heel pain book', this automatically gives them the link to click on. ;)

Pauline on 7/15/04 at 08:21 (155493)

Julie, if I learned to add 'yoga' when using the words Julie's exercises I can surely add 'heel pain book' when referring to Scott's book.

I don't think any other posts are as scrutinized as mine, but at least I know they are being read. My guess, eventually they will be perfect:*

Julie on 7/15/04 at 09:04 (155498)

Pauline, I think they're perfect already. :)

I hope you didn't mind my pointing this out: it's a matter of making it easy for new people to head in the right direction. Us oldies know the ropes only too well...

Pauline on 7/15/04 at 09:14 (155499)

Thanks for your kind words, but I doubt anyone on earth achieves perfection. It's nice to strive for this quality, but probably unachievable since it's an objective quality.

tania muller on 4/16/09 at 21:06 (256938)

i would like to know what is heelspoor is that is to do with your foot and the heel