Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS Cronic pain

Posted by ed o n on 7/14/04 at 22:36 (155475)

I have tried every thing pain clinic they couldn't help, they said there was nothing that they could do..
Doctors 15 of them, physical therapy.
I get up in the morning and as soon as my feet hit the floor the pain starts.Can't stand to have my feet down(non weight bairing) for more than an hour or two. When I was working the pain would travel all the way up my spine and make it almost immpossable to funtion. I would have felt better if I could just scream or punch someone so they knew the pain I was in.
Eating over the counter meds along with 'Zoloft' doesn't help.
Tylonal PMs several just to sleep.
Any body have any Ideas other than having the nerve completely severed and going into Leg braces. I am 51 was very active this is driving me NUTS. Can't do much of anything I enjoy. Either I am in pain on a scale it would be a 10, or I am exahsted from fighting the pain. I would dearly love to cut wood, go fishing,be out off pain so I could work.

Re: TTS Cronic pain

SteveG on 7/15/04 at 10:29 (155518)

Ed - There was a fellow on the board a year or two ago that had a spinal stimulator implanted, similiar to the one that Jerry Lewis had. His name was Henry and if you do a search on his name, I am sure you will get some information about it. He had a very bad case of TTS, and he swore that the simulator gave him his life back.

john h on 7/15/04 at 10:32 (155520)

Ed: As you are reporting pain traveling all the way up the spine I think I would go to be best diagnostic clinic I could find to insure you have a correct diagnosis. I have read few post or articles with people reporting pain from TTS radiating up the spine. It would seem more likely that a spine problem might cause pain in the foot. Find a Doctor who is willing to look beyond PF or TTS as the source of your pain, There are many people on this board who have traveled the same path you are on. Zoloft, pain killers and the depression and anxiety that comes from constant pain and a loss of your previous life style. What type of Doctors have you been seeing? Have you ever seen an MD specializing in Diagnostics? Hang in there sounds like it can only get better from where you are. Stay on the board and you may come across some things that might help. First step has to be a 'Proper Diagnosis' before you can address the problem. TTS is a tough diagnosis in the best case so you may need to be looking elsewhere.

John from MN on 7/15/04 at 10:38 (155521)

Call Dr. Sandell at 763.315.0466, he should be able to give you some advice.

john h on 7/15/04 at 10:58 (155523)

Steve I know two people who have had spinal stimulators implanted for unrelenting back pain. The Texas Back Institute was one of the innovators of this procedure. During the surgery the patient is awakened and the Doctor moves the electodes to various places until he finds the place that provides the patient the best relief. The frequency, intensity, etc can be adusted with a remote control after surgery. I am thinking the battery can be recharged without an incision. The device is located just under the skin but the electrodes are obviously near the nerves they are attempting to block the pain from. They have been around for some years. Same principal at the TENS unit.

Marty from SLC on 7/15/04 at 12:02 (155529)

Ed, I think you need to get the pain under control so you can think straight and then you need to keep pushing forward until you find a doctor who will help you. You have put up with this problem a long time so continue to be patient in your quest for help, it took a long time for you to get to the point your at now and it's going to take time to find help. Don't give up. Where do you live? Do you have good insurance?

Marty

Henry C on 7/16/04 at 06:38 (155584)

Ed,

This is Henry C and I went through pretty much the same as you. I had two TTS surgeries with the last one being a vein wrap procedure. Nothing seemed to work. I also tried about every type of pain killer available and let me tell you that is NOT the route to take. Yes, pain killers help numb the pain, but they also numb every other part of your body including your brain.

The last resort for me was a peripheral nerve stimulator and it indeed has saved my life. I was to the point that I asked my doctor to cut off my foot if the stimulator did not work.

Do a search for my name Henry C and you will see my story. Good luck and don't give up hope!

John King on 7/16/04 at 15:42 (155628)

ED

You are not alone. Some of us suffer from chronic pain. I think you just have to keep searching. Those doctors who tell you to 'live with It' don't know what 'It' is or they would not be saying they can't help you.

John King

John King on 7/16/04 at 15:45 (155630)

Henry C

When you say 'cut off my foot' I think I can understand. I feel like cutting mine off too sometimes and I just have PF. The worst part is not being able to do the things you used to do including work. When you are just sitting at home with nothing to do the pain is worse.

Terry L on 7/17/04 at 11:09 (155681)

Henry C,
I was wondering how things were going for you sounds just fine, good for you. I keep thinking that I maybe doing a SSC in the future I'm doing research which is another pain. It's hard to filter the facts from fiction.
Terry

Henry C on 7/20/04 at 11:42 (155918)

Terry L

As for my pain level, the stimulator was the life saver for me. Something happened to my nerve during the operation and now if I am not standing still for a very long time, I do not even need the stimulator. Of course when things begin to hurt, I'm very thankful that I can turn on the stimulator and have pain relief.

After six years of suffering and four operations, I can say that my pain is controllable. But those six years and all those pain killers had a toll on the one thing that I did not count on and that was my marraige. My wife could no longer tolerate any more pain on either of our parts and she left me six months ago. I guess things like this are common when one member of a marraige is in constant pain and suffering. At some point it becomes to much for the other to handle. Oh well life does go on!

Henry C