Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How Fit Are You

Posted by john h on 7/15/04 at 08:55 (155497)

For those than can still walk:

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/ucrockport.htm

Re: How Fit Are You

Kathy G on 7/17/04 at 08:13 (155672)

Hmmm.... John. Lot's more responses to the 'Pet Peeves' thread than this one. Is there a message here?:))

It's an interesting site. Thanks. Now if I could just walk a mile in one outing!

john h on 7/17/04 at 11:50 (155687)

Kathy I have not yet tried the test. I timed my mile yesterday on my normal walk and the mile was about 16 minutes. Next time out I may go in an all out walk to see just how fast I can walk a mile. I never was into walking. An acquaintenance of mine who was a German Officer during WWII was an olympic speed walker. He was in his late 70's some years ago when I was a regular runner. I would be running around the track as he was in his speed mode olympic type walk. I would be lapping him but after about 5 miles I would not longer be lapping him and he could do this for 26 miles. In his 70's he could go into a straight as a board hand stand on a bench. If he had 3% body fat I would be supprised. His name? What else but Otto.

JudyS on 7/17/04 at 23:03 (155725)

John - I never thought I'd get in to walking because I was, pre-PF, devoted to running. Getting back to running has always been a goal.

But I've 'discovered' walking! And I'm enjoying it tremendously. The first thing I did was promise myself that I wouldn't be competative within myself about - I'd just enjoy it. So I won't time myself and I won't push myself. I go for about an hour about four times a week.

The most fun I have with it is when there is rock & roll on my headset and I walk in time with the music - it's just a blast and can really make one feel energized. I'm in the process of making a CD that has only walk-beat music on it.

Kathy G on 7/18/04 at 10:21 (155747)

I spent the day with my daughter yesterday and we walked to a nearby restaurant for lunch. She didn't think it was that far. As we progressed, you could see her panicking as it was much farther than she thought. I did well, though, and was pretty proud of myself. She lives near the ocean and although we finally had a typical hot, humid day, about which none of us is complaining!, the ocean breeze kept the heat down. It was definitely more than a mile and she told me to slow down because I walk too fast!

We then proceeded to go shopping and my feet got quite a workout!

They don't hurt much today but I know that tomorrow will be the real test. I'm going to take it easy today and hope that I didn't do any real damage. We did have a fun day!

And I agree, Judy, that walking is fun. I was a 'Sweatin' to the Oldies' person for many years, then gave it up in favor of the nordic track because of my feet, then had to resort to walking. I do much better walking outside than I do on our treadmill.

john h on 7/18/04 at 19:13 (155785)

Judy: I am still trying to slow down my competitive juices. It is not easy but I could not agree with you more that a nice walk is much appreciated after one has had to deal with PF for so long. I used to always think I would declare my self cured when I could run a competive 5K in a respectable time. I am changing my goal. I will now be glad to walk a 5k with no pain at a decent pace. Probably a lot better on my joints and I can stop and smell the roses. Are you competitive in baseball and want to win or are you happy just to play. I still tooling a long for a couple of weeks now at pain level 1. Compared to where I was 5 or 6 years ago I could live with this.

JudyS on 7/19/04 at 13:20 (155838)

John - I just don't have the skill level to feel competative in my baseball/softball endeavors! But I find that, if I have a 'must win' moment, it feels too intense and I'm not a happy player so, overall, I feel just plain lucky to be on a field playing ball! Blue sky, warm sunshine, truly sweet teammates, Coronas after......life is good!

john h on 7/19/04 at 21:51 (155895)

Judy you lucky girl I just cannot get rid of my competitve nature. I like your way better. When I was a rescue pilot we had an alert phone that when it rang in the middle of the night it usually meant a crash. To this day when the phone rings after midnight I come straight out of bed fully awake and ready for bear. I have not flown air rescue in over 30 years. Old habits die hard.

john h on 7/19/04 at 21:53 (155896)

Hey Judy I did walk 3.5 miles today at a decent clip. Feet feel ok. We will see tomorrow. At least I know I am ready to walk a 5K race and will just go out and walk the next one that comes along.

Re: I'm Fit to be tied!!!!! Gotta return to work next week!!!! (NM)

Necee on 7/22/04 at 23:18 (156091)

Necee