Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pet Peeves

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 7/15/04 at 09:55 (155509)

I don't know if anyone has ever started a thread about this, but answering a question on the orthotics board got me thinking about pet peeves in the service industry. Here are a couple of mine:

1. Teenage workers in grocery stores with their shirts untucked and looking sloppy.

2. Grocery, food service or any other industry with workers in front of the store on break smoking.

3. Drive through food service workers that say, 'Here', when they hand you your order. Also, not saying, 'Thank you' for your business.

4. Seeing teen workers in stores standing around talking and not working. Yeah I did it a couple of times when I was 16, but my boss put an end to that real quick.

Re: Pet Peeves

Kathy G on 7/15/04 at 10:19 (155514)

Oh man, don't get me going! One of my pet peeves is the loss of basic courtesy in today's society and one of the places it's most noticeable is in stores. Today, if a clerk, be it an adult or a teen, smiles at me, says, 'Thank you,' or even acknowledges me, I'm shocked. I've gone so far as to call stores to praise someone who was particularly nice or helpful because it's so rare.

More and more, it appears that sales people are sullen, sulky people who hate their jobs. Locally, I feel bad for the people who work in the supermarkets because they now have to bag as well as ring up the groceries. But, while I feel sorry for them, I have arthritis in both hands and I can't bag my own groceries and then go home and bring them all in and put them away. So, I feel guilty because one person does it all. On the other hand, the corporations are hoping that customers will start bagging their own groceries and that's why they're doing it.

Okay, and my other pet peeve also has to do with the lack of common courtesy. This time it's with cellphones. Why does everyone in the world have to talk on their cellphone constantly and why do they have to talk so loudly? You can't go anywhere nowadays without hearing the annoying ring of someone's cell and then hearing them broadcast their conversation to the world!

And don't get me going on people who talk on their cellphones while they're driving. Especially people in parking lots with huge SUV's. I figure they must have found some great deal in the store and they just can't wait to call someone and share it with them. But why can't they sit in their parking space and call? Why do they have to talk as they're backing out of and maneuvering their way through the busy parking lot?

I, in my little Toyota Corolla, avoid them at all costs because they're so big and I'm so little. They're so busy talking, I'm afraid they won't see me and flatten me.

So, after all my usual rambling:D, I guess my two pet peeves are the lack of common courtesy in today's society and the rude use of cellphones!!

Kathy G on 7/15/04 at 10:22 (155517)

Oh gee, my nifty little smiley face didn't come out right! Maybe it was because my post was so negative! I'm going to try again!:D

Pauline on 7/15/04 at 13:46 (155541)

Kathy,
I hear you and can appreciate what your saying. One thing that I do to counter balance this type of treatment is to say something nice to the person behind the counter, at the check out, where ever. It might be something as simple as saying I like your hair cut, or what a pretty ring or I like the way you slice my meat. It honestly donesn't take much to bring a smile to a grumpy face. This simple act makes someone begin to think they are appreciated and that type of thinking is not only positive it's contageous.

I love to see the look on the check out person's face, who has just about had it with every shopper when I tell her something positive about herself. I can tell that she is just gunning for the next nasty remark and I come along and tell her I think her hair cut is really neat and ask where she gets it done. What a different person she becomes right before your eyes. She may not stay that way, but the next person in line is going to get a happy check out lady.

A few weeks ago, I purchased 2 dozen donuts and gave them to a small road crew that was working to repair an overpass about 3 miles from my home. I didn't know a single one of men, but I figured they were someone's loved one why not surprise them and indeed they were surprised. I just thanked them for doing their job and gave them the donuts as a small token of my appreciation of the work they were doing. They said no one has ever done that before and I can believe that, but wasn't it fun for all of us.

It really doesn't take much to brighten someones day. Who knows someday when we're down, grumpy and just feeling nasty someone will come along with a random act of kindness to change our mood and it will be a memory that we will not forget.

Suzanne D. on 7/15/04 at 14:36 (155546)

I, too, dislike rudeness from workers. Wearing a size 11 shoe, I used to really have trouble finding my length. My pet peeve was asking the salesperson if they had women's shoes in an 11 only to be looked at as if I were a 'freak' and given a rude reply. I have heard, 'Oh, no, we don't carry anything THAT big', etc. more times than I could count.

On the other hand, what I love to have happen is to unexpectedly run into a former student who is working at a store where I shop. That happened to me just last week in a new 'Best Buy' store near us. I was walking down the aisle and heard, 'Excuse me, Ma'am, don't I know you?'

I had Jeremy in third grade years ago, and I said, 'Well, Jeremy! It's so nice to see you. I remember you were always good in math!'

He said, 'You remembered! I still am. I fix computers here.' And he beamed from ear to ear.

Those are the nice moments while shopping!
Suzanne :)

Suzanne D. on 7/15/04 at 14:39 (155547)

I've done that, too, Kathy ~ call stores to praise someone who was particularly nice or helpful. It IS rare, and I think it helps to call attention to it.

I told an assistant manager at one of our large grocery stores that I frequent that store more often than the others in town because of his courtesy and manners. I think I shocked him when I told him, but he deserved the compliment. He practically runs to help and to offer to take the groceries to your car. That's rare these days.

Suzanne D. on 7/15/04 at 14:48 (155548)

What a nice idea, Pauline! What is that old saying ~ 'He who gives flowers to others cannot help but keep some of the fragrance on his own hands' ~ or something like that. You get the point! Those workers were probably nicer to others all day because of your kindness, and you felt good, too.

At my daughter's Youth Theater performances (which I wrote about in another thread), it is customary for parents and well-wishers to give flowers or some little gift to performers as they greet the audience after the show.

I had noticed one particular girl who always stood off by herself most of those times. She is a real 'tough' girl - tells everyone exactly what she thinks, takes nothing from anyone, etc. I've heard she left her parents to live with someone else, changed schools two or three times. She has been in several of the shows with my daughter and is quite talented. In this show she is a policewoman. So one night I slipped up to her afterwards and gave her a little $1 plastic policeman's kit with play handcuffs, gun, badge, etc. I almost chickened out, because she can be intimidating to adults as well as the other kids! But I thought, 'Oh, well, I'll give it a try'.

She looked so shocked when I handed it to her and merely muttered, 'Oh' a couple of times.

I just told her I thought she was doing a good job and that she might like that as a remembrance of her part.

Later that night my daughter said she came up to her and said, 'Why did your mom do that? That was so cool of her!' My daughter didn't know what she was talking about as I hadn't told her what I planned to do. I thought it might embarrass her so I just didn't mention it.

So, even the seemingly hardest people do often respond to kindness.

Good thoughts, Pauline!

Marty from SLC on 7/15/04 at 16:23 (155556)

Those little rice burner cars that have to go fast in slow traffic and zip in and out of traffic and cut in front of you.

People whom not just gripe but throw a fit at those who serve the public but have no control over anything. They get yelled at ALLOT. I was in sears a while back and this lady was having a tizzy at some poor sale person because they didn't have her size of shoe. Poor kid didn't know what to do with her. LADY GET A CLUE! The poor kid doesn't order the shoes. This happens way to much in my opinion. There's a guy here at work that calls up places and just sits there and throws fits at who ever is at the other end. He gets free stuff doing this all the time. JERK.

Weather Forecasters !!!!!! I'm going to call my local radio station up and freak out on them because it rained on my new black car and the radio said sunshine. LOL, just kidding

Whining Artists who don't wont me to download their music, come on man isn't 20 million a year enough. SHEESH !!! hmmmm maybe not because I guess I'm in the wrong on this one aren't' I? Hee hee, just trying to get ya all going. I do do it though. (confession) L

Ok well I could go on and on here but I better get back to work. Man it drives me crazy, all the workers in the world who surf the web and email all day long and get paid for it. Oops ah, I think I better quit before I really get in deep. Hee he just kidding folks. I'm really a nice honest guy, oh quick got to go here comes my boss. Oopss did it again. Urrrrggg.

Marty

john h on 7/15/04 at 16:45 (155558)

I am not sure whether there are more rude workers or rude customers. This knife cuts both ways. We as a society are much more spoiled and rude than 50 years ago. The niceities of life seem to be slowly disappearing. When I open a door or pull out a chair for a lady they often seem shocked. I wonder if men still bother to walk next to the curb when walking with a lady or give up their seat on the subway? Times have changed. I do not know what NOW or some of these organizations think when it comes to things we once took for granted. My mama raised me the way I am and that is the way I will be.

Dorothy on 7/15/04 at 17:00 (155561)

Kathy G - You are funny! :-)

Dorothy on 7/15/04 at 17:09 (155562)

Bagging groceries: One of my many jobs in my youth was as a grocery clerk in a Kroger's. I was a cute young teenager and the store was near the university so I had to put up with lotsa 'stuff' from college boys and I didn't suffer fools gladly even then, but I was a good worker. I remember very well my father teaching me how to count out change and what a brilliant concept it all seemed to me then! (Sheltered life...) Well, anyway, we were carefully trained on the cash register (pre-computer days) and in bagging. Bagging groceries is an art and reflects respect for the customer, the customer's hard-earned cash, the customer's purchases and the groceries themselves - particularly produce. I took great care with it all because it mattered.
So,now, in these days of sky-high produce, nothing irks me more than the clerks and/or baggers who are very careless - and sometimes they even seem hostile - with the produce. While they slam-bang around the produce, I can feel my ire rising and then I put on that rigid smile that is not really a smile at all while I say, 'gently, gently...' then 'take care, please....' then finally 'I'LL DO IT!!!' and I am happy to grab the bagging position and take over in order to save my fruits and vegetables from the cruel blows that the IDIOTS! are inflicting.

Deep breath. Ok, I'm ok now....

Les on 7/15/04 at 17:09 (155563)

'Uh huh' used in place of your welcome! It drives me absolutely insane...When someone says 'thank-you' the proper response is 'you're welcome' NOT 'Uh huh'.

Dorothy on 7/15/04 at 17:17 (155564)

I'm trying very hard not to progress from the 'young-ish codger' that I am into an official 'old codger'. I'm ok with being a curmudgeon, but I am resisting entering 'codger' status. However, I confess to being very squeamish at having people handle my food or any other personal contact when they have:
1. very long and/or dirty and/or fake fingernails. (It's all I can do to keep from retching). Those nails that look like claws - ohmygosh!!! spare me!! I see those and my eyes are almost like x-ray vision: I see fungus. I see dirt. I see every disgusting thing that person has done with their hands.
2. lots of piercings - especially nose rings, multiple face piercings and the like. Add here dog collars or any other accoutrement that I consider a reflection of an aberrant personality expressing itself over my commercial activities!

I really hate it when I get up to the checker (grocery or any other place) and here it comes: big sneeze! big cough! there it is - wipe the hand - and on we go: handle the food, give me change, etc. etc.
If this process is done by a hand with those fingernails (see above), oh yes, I get almost dizzy with disgust!!! Out to the car and I pull out my Purell, hand-wipes, and any other cleansing product I can find!!

marie on 7/15/04 at 20:20 (155566)

I hate wolf whistles and all the other loud obnoxious comments made by men from their car windows when I walk down the street.

I am finally getting to an age where it doesn't happen as much but it still does especially if it's a from a distance. :)) For some reason I thought it'd go away the instant I turned 30.

I dislike blonde jokes but I especially dislike it if someone asks me if it's ok to tell one. I usually respond by telling them that's fine as long as they don't mind if I tell a brunette joke. They're cured after one brunette joke....I guarantee it every time.

I don't like women that pass judgement on me because of the way I look. I just want to shake them up and tell them that looks don't count a bit. Looks don't last but a good heart does.

There is great power in kindness so I have always done my best to be curtious and respectful to all the grocery store clerks, retail sales clerks, waitresses and all of those who work in the service industy. Aside from that most of them are my former students so it's nice to see them. :)

sal on 7/15/04 at 21:37 (155573)

My greatest pet peeves are Vegetarians, people on diets, people who should be on diets, tree huggers, PETA nuts, all govt employees on all levels,lawyers, cab drivers, old people, young people, middle age people, poor people, rich people, beggers, stingy people, charity, religous people and atheists,gays, lesbians, and heterosexuals, very tall and very short Norwegians and skinny Samoans. Come to think of it I also don't care for fat Samoans either.
I like coal burning and nuclear fueled power plants, lead paint and leaded gasoline, childrens toys with many small parts, old cars with steel dashboards and no air bags, leopard skin coats, alligator shoes, mercury thermometers, and toxic waste dumps. But my most pet peeve is people who don't think like me.

john h on 7/16/04 at 08:30 (155588)

I get a little upset when someone in a long line writes a check for $1.25 for a cup of coffee. I bet processing that check cost $2.50 before it is all done with. I also get a little peeved when I am in a long line and someone checking out wants to carry on a long conversation with the checkout person.

Actually I do not get very upset with things that once bothered me. As you age some things just are not worth getting upset over as ultimately you are the loser.

Marie when I was 21 and sitting at worksite with my hard hat on and no shirt and you walked by it was the manly thing to do to whistle. If I sat there like a dummy my buddies would have made life miserable for me. It was the manly thing to do. Now days I notice women are not immune to making a comment when a good looking hunk strolls by. What I mostly hear is get out of the way you are blocking my view.

Kathy G on 7/16/04 at 09:03 (155590)

John,

You and others brought up an interesting point about it working both ways when it comes to sales people. My daughter, who just graduated from college, is still working her college job as a pharmacy technician while she job searches. She says that sometimes it takes all her self-control not to be rude to a customer who yells at her because their insurance card doesn't work, the particular drug they're getting isn't covered by their plan, or her store is out of the drug. She says that some people act like she's the one who sets the price.

She's a really nice, friendly person, and I don't say that because I'm her mother, but because she is. She seldom gets angry and she's great at delaing with the public but she says that sometimes she just has to walk away because the person won't listen to her and she refuses to listen to them berate her any longer. Luckily, the pharmacists with whom she works are very good at intervening and telling the customer that she doesn't have a thing to do with their insurance coverage and that she, in fact, as a pharmacy tech, is the very person who has already called their insurance company, on their behalf, in an effort to find out why the drug isn't covered. She's a very caring person and she often tells me stories about the people, especially the elderly, who she knows can't afford their medication and her heart aches for them. She says, ironically, those people are always the nicest to her.

Her pet peeve, by the way, as a twenty-three-year-old who's always had a cellphone, is the people who talk on the phone while they're picking up an order and pay her no attention. Or who answer the phone in the middle of a sale and don't excuse themselves.

I worked in retail and I don't envy anybody who does nowadays. I know what you mean, Dorothy, about them not packing the bags properly. And I always apologize because I can't help them because I know they're being timed as to how long each transaction takes.

Richard, you sure got a good topic going here! I'm surprised that few have mentioned driving in traffic and being cut off by some idiot, only to have him/her be one car ahead of you at the next traffic light!

Man, I just wish everyone was perfect like me! The world would be such a wonderful place then! :))

Kathy G on 7/16/04 at 09:05 (155591)

Ooops! Not only is my daughter good at delaing with the public, she's also good at dealing with the public. If they're yelling at her about drug prices, they don't notice whether she delaing or dealing!

Kathy G on 7/16/04 at 09:06 (155592)

Sal,

Good one! :))

Pauline on 7/16/04 at 10:27 (155595)

Kathy,
I think cell phones could be a topic of their own. Can you kindly tell me why a person needs to talk on their phone in Church?

It's very interesting to me that all of us got along just fine without them, but today like a water bottle unless you have one on and pinned to your ear at all times many people cannot get through the day.

I never had a difficult time getting through a school day nor did my sons without cell phones and the one that I own is never turned on. I can't even tell you my phone number because I don't know it until it flashes on the screen when I turn it on. Never bothered to menorize it and I've never given it to anyone because I don't want any calls. My husband complains because I never have it on (just in case) and on the rare occassions that I use it to call him I immediately shut the thing off so he can return a call to me. What good is it he says, for you to have a phone and I tell him, well if I'm stuck on the road I have a phone. Other than that I do all my calling from the one found in most homes home and you know I like it that way.

Honestly though I think a good idea has gone bad. I can hardly wait until it's implanted in the body and all you have to do is talk into your hand as your tail lights up to show others your line is busy!

marie on 7/16/04 at 10:28 (155596)

Sal,

That's a stitch! Gees sometimes ya just have to laugh at yourself sometimes!

marie on 7/16/04 at 10:38 (155598)

John,

So that was you! :p LOL.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/16/04 at 12:13 (155603)

#5 People who surf the internet instead of getting work done. Oh, thats me...haha

Re: Best quote from this thread...

Suzanne D. on 7/16/04 at 12:16 (155604)

John H. wrote, 'Actually I do not get very upset with things that once bothered me. As you age some things just are not worth getting upset over as ultimately you are the loser.'

There's a lot said in those two statements!

Suzanne D. on 7/16/04 at 12:48 (155607)

You're right, John. Rudeness abounds. I'm glad your mama raised you the way she did and wish more mamas did so today. I see it clearly in my first graders. Not too many of them exhibit good manners, and the ones who do stand out like shining stars. I always make a point to tell their parents as I want to encourage them to continue teaching consideration!

One August I saw the mother of a child I had the year before and asked about their vacation during the summer. The mother told me about their trip to Sea World and how her little girl had wanted to pet a dolphin. She said the child was patiently waiting behind other children, and her father said, 'Why doesn't she push to the front so she gets a chance?'

The mother said, 'Because Mrs. Dennis taught her class all year to be patient and wait their turn'.

Her father replied, 'Well, she'll never get anywhere in life with that attitude.'

That's the problem; people see manners and courteous behavior as standing in the way of getting what they want. That's a shame.

Marty from SLC on 7/16/04 at 12:50 (155608)

Kathy,

I mentioned traffic but I didn't mention calls. I really erks me when people just pick up thier cells and cut off your conversation with them. urrrrgggggg.

But you know there are those who really can't stand those who can't spell, so to all of you out there i will try harder. hee hee

Marty from SLC on 7/16/04 at 12:59 (155609)

Marie,

Haa haa haa, I pictured you about 50, black hair and rich. Maybe your rich but you not 50 nor do you have black hair.

Well just goes to show you we can never really know anyone and maybe not even ourselves.

Marty from SLC on 7/16/04 at 13:02 (155611)

I was bagger of the month once! I loved doing the drive up because that's where you got to see how people really were. Not in the store all upset for some reason.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/16/04 at 13:19 (155616)

I agree! Allowing people to 'bug' you over trivial issues is giving them a certain amount of control over the quality of your life, and not in a good way.

I don't get as aggravated by unimportant annoyances as I once did, and if I start seeing things going in that direction over an issue that's not worth my time, I generally go somewhere else or do something else.

Our time here on earth is so short. Maybe not as short as the life of a mayfly, but still very short. I try to choose wisely how I use this gift of life.

Carole C

Re: Consensus thus far: Rudeness and Disrespect

Marty from SLC on 7/16/04 at 13:23 (155617)

Seems thus far the consensus is: Rudeness and Disrespect.

Marty from SLC on 7/16/04 at 13:24 (155618)

Amen

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D. on 7/16/04 at 13:30 (155619)

That's a great thought, too, Carole ~ 'choosing wisely how to use this gift of life'. I agree!

I've been wanting to tell you about something complelely off this subject. Weren't you the one who once mentioned the 'Red Hat Club' in a post? I never heard of that before reading about it here, but Sunday afternoon at our Youth Theater's 'Guys and Dolls' in which my daughter peforms, I saw five elegant ladies, 65+ in age, walk in together. They all were wearing beautiful purple suits or dresses and wearing red hats. They looked so charming!

Parent volunteers help out at the theater, so during intermission I sold concessions. One of the ladies came up to buy something, and I told her how beautiful she and her group were. She smiled so sweetly and said, 'I can't understand a word they say (and the sound system is very good, by the way), but I'm having a great time!'

I liked her attitude!

Necee on 7/16/04 at 13:33 (155620)

The grocery store is where I get annoyed the most. Especially at the check out, they never bag my groceries right!! I always want my cold things together, my fresh fruits and veggies together, my canned goods together, my bathroom stuff together, breads on top so they won't get mashed.....what is so hard about that? But for the life of me......when I ask them to please put my cold things together, etc, they look as if they don't understand. I just wish that the store managers would teach the sackers the proper way to sack groceries.....enough of that, I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it.

Another peeve.....those who use handicap parking when they don't need it!! Oh that one just drives me up the wall, time after time I witness able bodied people using those parking spaces, when they certainly don't need to.

Drivers who leave their brains at home when they get behind the wheel is another peeve. They weave in and out of traffic, tailgate, never signal when changing lanes, or signal when exiting and entering the freeway. Drivers who don't use THEIR right of way at an intersection....time after time it happens.....you come to an intersection at the same time, and I'll wait for the person who has the right of way, then they will motion for me to go ahead, the other cars stopped get confused as to whats going on, and then they try to go, it causes so much confusion, I say if it's your right of way, then TAKE IT.

Necee

marie on 7/16/04 at 16:32 (155634)

I'm a blonde bombshell...sorry it's just the way I was born. Of course now that I'm 47 I don't as many beeps and yells. Hurray!

These were the worst:

Once I was with a group of administrators on a trip to NC to a lecture on block scheduling. There were 7 of us. Only two of us were teachers. And only two of us were women. We were sitting in a bar waiting for a table when our waitress brought me a note from the table across the room along with drinks for everyone at our table. The note asked if me and my friend (my principal) would consider joining them for the rest of the evening. Good grief I was at a table with 5 men......it seems that they might think we were taken. The guys got jealous because no one had tried to pick them up in the bar. So I approached a gal in the bathroom and offered her five bucks if she'd ask our guidance counselor to dance. Well she did and he thought he was king for the rest of the evening until my principal ratted me out....I got thrown in the pool when we got back to the hotel.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/16/04 at 17:22 (155635)

I don't belong to a 'Red Hat Club', but one of my coworkers belongs to one so it's possible that I might have mentioned it. They sound like fun, and what a great idea.

I like that lady's attitude, too. :)

Carole C

marie on 7/16/04 at 18:07 (155643)

That is a very wise statement ladies. I'll double Amen that one.

I would have added whining to the top of my list but then I'd be the guilty one....LOL.

Janice N on 7/16/04 at 18:58 (155656)

Some of the ladies in my building have formed a red hat club. You ought to see these women. All look very classy and lovely. Sometimes they just go to the deli for lunch down the street. It sure does something for them inside as well as looking pretty outside.

Re: The Red Hat Club

Kathy G on 7/17/04 at 08:09 (155671)

A while back, I read a book by Haywood Smith called the Red Hat Club. It was very funny and when I posted about it here, many of you were familiar with the group.

Since then, I've noticed a couple of gift shops that have whole sections dedicated to the groups.

I like the idea that women now celebrate aging. My mother used to tell people her age and my aunt, who lied about her age, used to have a fit. People knew my aunt was the eldest and she was afraid that they'd figure out how old she was. My mother pointed out that at the rate she was going, pretty soon my aunt was going to have a son older than she was!

Given the alternative, I'll take aging any day!:D

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Re: The Red Hat Club

Suzanne D. on 7/17/04 at 15:38 (155692)

That's right, Kathy: it was you who first posted about The Red Hat Club. I think then Carole mentioned that there was a club in her area. My memory was just partly correct!

Anyway, those ladies did look elegant and seemed to be enjoying themselves. As soon as I saw them, I remembered reading here about the club. I do think it's a nice idea.

Have a good weekend as well!