Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Patient Research Foot Freezer

Posted by Darlene on 7/16/04 at 10:30 (155597)

I'm wondering if research results are available to patients. I would like to read some impartial data on foot freezing for neuromas. When I spoke with the offices that do the procedure they are talking extremely high success rates (100%) and I would like to see this verified in writing.

Thank you.

Darlene

Re: Patient Research Foot Freezer

Pauline on 7/16/04 at 13:17 (155614)

I think all of us would love to see this in writing. If and when you get it signed and sealed you might consider that doctor to provide the treatment. Until then the research you are doing is well worth the time.

Have you also check Pub. Med for any medical abstracts published on the subject? You can also call or visit your local medical library to search for articles that were published too. The librarians are usually very helpful to newbies (anyone new) needing help.

Dr. Z on 7/16/04 at 15:36 (155626)

It isn't 100%. Here is the article by Dr. Fallet. This is prospective study. It was submitted Feb 2002

Summary
38.7% has complete relief
45.2% had partial relief. Reduction in VAS from 8.5 to 3.1 thats greater then 50%
The rest of the group 16.1% had no relief

All of the patients that had no relief had excision of neuroma previously
90% states they would have the procedure done again

John King on 7/16/04 at 15:48 (155632)

I would be cautious of any treatment claiming 100% cure. The only 100% cure for pain is to be laying on your back at the funeral home.

Re: Clarifcation Question for Dr Z. Patient Research Foot Freezer

Claire on 7/17/04 at 07:30 (155670)

I would just like to clarify what you mean by the following comment:'All of the patients that had no relief had excision of neuroma previously.' Are you saying that all of the patients that had already had a neuroma removal in the past and then participated in this technique did not get any relief from the procedure? Basically people that had a stump nueroma? THANKS

Dr. Z on 7/17/04 at 11:09 (155680)

Hi
Yes that is what the journal article is saying. All of the failures were with patients that already had neuroma excision. Cryotherapy works best with patients that haven't had neuroma surgery already

Claire on 7/18/04 at 05:41 (155739)

Thank you. Are you able to recommend anything in particulalr for people that have already had a nueroma excision and are still experiencing problems in the incision area? Thanks

Dr. Z on 7/18/04 at 09:07 (155743)

I have used the local alcohol injections with sucess. Placing a metatarsal padding is also helpful. Surgery from the bottom of the foot may be needed.