Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

back again :-(

Posted by Michelle S on 7/16/04 at 18:28 (155649)

It's been a little over 4 months since I first went to the pod and posted here. Unfortunately I am back after 3 rounds of cortisone injections. I have the night splint but my pod told me to wear it 3 times/day for 30 min. each time instead of all night. Does that make sense?? I've starting doing the heat/cold therapy, well mostly just heat with some relief. I have custom orthotics and wear them almost religiously. I bought a pair of Betula sandals which are a sub-brand of Birks. They make my feet hurt more. I just read the PF article that Jim (?) posted and that makes sense to me. My hamstrings are VERY tight so I need to work on that.

I'm disappointed to say the least. I was hoping by now I could be active again without paying for it. I wear a pedometer and average about 5-6,000 steps/day. Some days I get up to 12,000. Those are the days I really hurt. I long for the days where I can walk the trails at the park again or even take 2 laps around the block in the evenings.

Ok, enough whining. Just wanted to share my grief.

Michelle

Re: back again :-(

John from MN on 7/16/04 at 18:32 (155650)

Have you noticed that night splints have helped?

Kathy G on 7/18/04 at 10:34 (155748)

Michelle,

So sorry to hear of your relapse. Unfortunately, that seems to be normal for PF. Have faith; it will get better as many on this board will attest. We also have a number of people who are completely cured. In the meantime, I think you'll find many people find that just wearing the night splint for short periods helps. Many wear it when they sit down at the end of the day to watch TV, read, whatever.

I had bad Achilles Tendonitis and I found rest, Julie's Yoga Exercises which I do at least once daily, and a tilt board helped my condition. It still rears its ugly head occasionally but not as often.

Your doing all the things you should do. The hardest thing with PF is just having the patience to let time and rest do its thing. It is very frustrating but it will get better!

Best of luck to you!

Michelle S on 7/18/04 at 15:05 (155763)

No, I haven't noticed any improvement with just the night splint. Last night I tried to wear it while I was sleeping. I didn't get much sleep! How in the world do you sleep with one of those on?? Today it is a LOT better but I can't say it's just the splint. I did get some new shoes, clogs like they wear in operating rooms. My foot does not hurt at all when I wear them! I've also been trying to stretch quite a bit. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Michelle

Michelle S on 7/18/04 at 15:07 (155765)

Thanks Kathy. I was thinking about getting a tilt board for under my desk at work. I have been trying to wear the splint in the evening right before bed but it certainly doesn't get near the 30 min. 3x's/day that I'm supposed to wear it.

Michelle