Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Stacey F on 7/18/04 at 01:09 (155735)

I just recently made a visit to my physician for heel pain. I had an x-ray done which showed no spurs. However I did opt to have the steroid injection, which has not done a lot of good. He said if I didn't get relief in a few day then he will send me on to a podiatrist. I read some of the articles and everything that is talked about sounds like the pain in my heel. I can't walk on my right foot first thing in the morning. If i am off of it for any amount of time and then try to get back up it is the same thing. It has become increasingly painful in the last year. I also took up walking three times a week in the last year and do a lot of walking in a hospital. Do you have any suggestions for me? I would appreciate them. I am only 32 and I don't want to think that I am going to deal with this pain for the rest of my life.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give me in this matter.

Re: Heel Pain

Pat on 7/18/04 at 22:18 (155796)

I'm wondering what else you'd done besides the cortisone shot. The problem is sometimes the cortisone shots work and sometimes they don't and they're so painful and can do alot of damage over a period of time that you don't want to have to many of them. Have you been icing down your foot? stretching the calf muscle (one exercise is to stand with your toes on a step and lean down with your heels towards the next step to stretch that muscle out)? tried physical therapy? These are things the Podiatrist will probably suggest and it sounds like you have a heel spur but it's strange that nothing showed up on the x-ray. Do not, under any circumstances, let a podiatrist operate on you. They'll only operate if nothing else works and I'm a 10 year study in heel spurs and foot problems and trying everything - including the surgery which caused more problems in the long run. It doesn't affect everyone the same way but you don't want to be the one that it does affect.

raymond m,l. on 7/19/04 at 08:49 (155810)

i had pf for 3 yrs with no bone spur so you better jump on it now fast first orthics second cortizone shot third nomal ativitive no running light strecthes for calf in one month it should be gone were tennies only

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/19/04 at 09:12 (155816)

Stacey:
There is a lot that can be done. Read the Heel Pain Book and then return with questions.
Ed