Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF Complications

Posted by Ed on 7/18/04 at 16:13 (155774)

I had an EPF done seven months ago after three years of battling PF. I tried the ESWT twice but it did not help. The pain is gone where I had the plantar fasciitis, but it has created a host of new problems. I now have pain in the arch of my as well as the length of the outside of the foot. I have been getting ultrasound for a month but it has not helped. I also wear corrective insoles but they don't do much good. My pain is worse after sitting for long periods of time and when I get up in the morning. It seems this surgery just made the condition worse. I'm wondering if I'm going to be permanently disabled. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: EPF Complications

Pat on 7/18/04 at 22:13 (155795)

I had surgery for Plantar Faschitis 10 years ago and while it did 'cure' the heel pain I had so many problems over the next year that a new doctor finally sent me for an MRI where I found they cut a nerve during the surgery. Here it is 10 years later and three of my toes are numb and my foot just feel lopsided. I tend to favor my other foot and have developed heel spurs on my right foot as well. I think at this point I would request that the doctor send you for an MRI. This may be the only way to actually tell what is going on.

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 10:55 (155824)

is the pain inside the arch?, bottom or top?

is the pain along outside of your foot there only when baring weight?

I found that when they did my surgery that it cause a shift in my bones somewhere, arch, cubical i'm not sure and I'm still working out after 1.5 years. I know he damaged my nerve while dealing with the heelspur because when I woke up he said it was intangled in the heelspur and when the medication wore off the ball of my foot hurt so bad that I had to call the doctor to see if I could take my boot off to relaive the presure building up in my ball area from swelling. The ball of my foot still swells and hurts but I'm gettig better.

What does your doctor say about this??

Keep us posted.

Ed on 7/19/04 at 17:27 (155877)

The podiatrist did not touch the heel spur during the surgery.
I have no pain in the ball of my foot. My pain is on the lateral side of the foot and in the arch when bearing weight. My physical therapist has told me I am dealing with stretched ligaments. I'm seeing the doctor again next week to get new arch supports to go along with the 30 or so pairs I already have.

april l on 7/19/04 at 20:46 (155891)

Marty, my doctor prescribed a night splint, which was just a walking boot, to keep my foot flexed while I slept. I never even slept a whole night with it on because it caused severe pain in the ball of my foot. The longest I was able to keep it on was 4 hours, and I woke up in terrible pain from the pressure, not to mention numb toes and incredible itching. My foot was literally trying to bust out of the cast to get itself into the relaxed position. I stopped wearing it. In fact I can't concieve of anyone being able to wear it without the pressure it causes, because after all, the foot and ankle muscles automatically push down. It defies logic. So I'm wondering, did the boot cause the pain in the ball of your foot?

Re: april , oh yes i had pain in the ball area !!!!!!!

Marty from SLC on 7/20/04 at 13:17 (155921)

April I remember you because I remember thinking I'm not the only one who has had this problem after surgery.

Oh yes it was extremely painful. I'm not sure what happened but when I got home from surgery I started to feel pressure and pain in the ball of my foot and as the medication wore off I just about went though the roof. I was strapped into one of those walking type boot/cast. I called the doctor and told him that I was getting a big bump from swelling on the top of my arch. Well that's because my foot was strapped in so tight that the fluid didn't have anywhere to go. Anyway I told me to loosen the boot up. (I COULD NOT HAVE THE BOTTOM OF THE BOOT TOUCH THE BALL OF MY FOOT THE WHOLE TIME I WAS IN IT.) it was horrible. I cured my toes under to lift the ball area up of the bottom. I still do this and it's been 1.5 years now. I'm getting better though but I have really no idea what happen. All I know is that the ball area has been my problem since the surgery.

What did you have surgery for?

How long has it been?

Are you over your ball area problem?

Re: Surgery was one of my options too

Gino on 7/21/04 at 00:40 (155947)

Between ESWT and surgery I opted for the ESWT for being non-invasive of course. The ball of my foot bothers me but it doesn't hurt. I feel discomfort when I walk. My doc told me that in the surgery they lenghten the connective tissue by snip it and they would remove the spur off I guess by grinding it out. I can picture that but makes my stomach turn. Ouch....
Have your doctors told you anything different? I would like to hear.
After reading every case of people who did ESWT and not read from anyone saying ESWT did cured I start having a bad vibe about the whole thing. Some people are struggling to have their insurance to cover the cost of treatment. Because it is a relative new treatment (at least in SoCal) I feel that most docs out there are still not very familiar with it. It certainly frustrates anyone including me. But one thing for sure, If I realize this (ESWT) is not doing any good to my foot then I will start looking carefully into surgery. Look for some reputable doc here in the USA or elsewhere, see how much cost and check if I can afford. Maybe, maybe not. By the way, I am not rich nor my family. Certainly I will keep you all posted. For now, I will follow doctor's recommendation. Finish my sessions of PT, wear orthotics, etc.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/21/04 at 14:37 (155995)

Release of the fascia does alter the architecture of the foot so corrective devices such as orthotics are often needed even more so after surgery.

Re: april , oh yes i had pain in the ball area !!!!!!!

april l on 7/22/04 at 10:13 (156050)

Well, I had EPF on my right foot 7 yrs. ago, and on my left foot 11 months ago. I remember pain in the ball of my foot with the first surgery. It was an achy feeling, and it went to my toes too. It doesn't sound as severe as yours. I was able to have pressure on it, but it was achy. All the pain in that foot eventually went away. Hard to say exactly how long it took because it really was so gradual.

With my most recent surgery I didn't have the pain in the ball of my foot until I was prescribed a boot cast as a night splint. Then, trying to sleep in it was a nightmare. The ball of my foot hurt so much from the pressure I could not stand it. So I stopped wearing it.

I had the boot cast with my first surgery too. Started wearing it about 2 months after surgery. I couldn't keep it on longer than 20-30 mins. because of severe pain in the ball of my foot. Also made my toes go numb. It just made me wonder if wearing the boot can cause this pain. My doctor did not cast me or boot me after the surgery. Now I'm grateful because I know how bad it was for me to try wearing it thru a night. I really don't understand how some ppl can wear them. I have tight achilles so maybe that was a factor. My foot pushes hard against the bottom of the boot and the pressure is tremendous.

I'm glad your foot is improving. My improvement was so slow that I didn't notice. I had given up. I just walked in pain and eventually I noticed it didn't hurt anymore.

Re: april ,

raymond m,l. on 8/11/04 at 16:41 (157587)

the reason your foot hurt was cause your feet are to dame fat so i figere if you lose about 200 pounds your be ok DUMMY

Re: Scottr or moderator

marie on 8/11/04 at 19:00 (157599)

Raymond's post needs to be deleted. Thanks

Re: Surgery was one of my options too

Pat on 8/22/04 at 21:59 (158566)

I was one of the people that had the surgery 10 years ago and I can't even describe how bad it was. I was in excruating (spelling) pain for a year and I still have problems ten years later. Now I have developed heel spurs in my 'good' foot and every step I take I want to cry. The one thing I would like to mention is go to an Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes in the foot and ankle. I don't care how good a podiatrist thinks he is my experience is that they're no where near as good as an orthopedic surgeon but they sure charge the same. Mine was covered by insurance and I'm considering surgery in my 'good' foot. I can't walk around in pain because I feel like I'm 80 years old and just want to cry all the time. This really sucks! I wish I had better advice for you but I think if your insurance would cover the Ossatron I would try that first (mine doesn't cover it) and if that doesn't work go the surgery route.