Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

try to bare weight

Posted by Karen C. on 7/18/04 at 18:58 (155783)

All of you experts out there, how in the world did you begin to bare weight? I can put my foot on the floor and that's about it. It's been 3 weeks and I've been given the green light to bare weight. The hardest is the stiffness along the incision. Any ideas??

Karen

Re: try to bare weight

cindyp on 7/18/04 at 21:01 (155792)

it took awhile. maybe about from day of surgery to day of full weight a month and a half. there was lots of hobbling and a cane then very small little bits of full weight. takes a bit of time and why rush it you know?

chrisb on 7/19/04 at 08:37 (155809)

Karen I was a dellon surgery -- he wanted me to bear some weight from the 1st day, so I did. Slowly more and more during the first 3 weeks. I used a walker til week 3 and was very careful for mostly only short trips to the bathroom and kitchen. I found my achilles felt very tight for weeks. Also the tightness in my incision seemed to be related to swelling -- as I put my foot down the incision swelled and felt tight. Maybe the stiffnmess you feel there is swelling?
Take it slow and elevate the foot lots. You'll be fine.

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 10:43 (155822)

Take care it slow !!! I don't think there's any reason to hurry. I was none weight baring for 8 weeks and then it took me about a month for full weight. Are you in a cast?

Karen C. on 7/19/04 at 11:28 (155830)

I was in a cast for 2 weeks then just a wrap. He told me non-weight bearing for 3 weeks. He said that it may take me about a week to be full weight bearing. Yea right! It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow since surgery. I can put more weight on it today than last night. I found that trying to bare weight while having it wrapped is much easier than without the wrap. I'm not going to rush things. I have to return to my desk at work next week. I was supposed to return today but took an extra week off. I had a meeting last Friday and fell when trying to come down a few stairs. Both ankles turned under me as well as both wrists and arms twisting. That put me in bed all weekend. Luckily, I didn't hurt anything too bad. My toes on my surgery foot are pretty black and blue but other than that I'm okay.

Thanks for all the advice!
Karen

Jen on 7/19/04 at 12:34 (155834)

Hi. Just had the surgery on July 2nd and my 3 weeks will be this friday. I was told no weight bearing at all. I had a half hard/soft cast my first week and have had a hard cast on and im ready for it to come off! i have no pain at all moving my foot around in my foot, other than where the incisions were. yes incisions. i also had to have arthroscopy of both ankle joints! i put a little weight on it and it feels fine. i wouldnt be all my weight on it yet until the doc says ok and i hope that he does on friday. what kind of cast do you have?

Jen on 7/19/04 at 12:46 (155835)

also, i came back to work after a week with a wheelchair and that has been my saving grace!

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 16:03 (155862)

I rented a wheel chair and used it for a month after surgery. Take it easy!!!!!! I really messed my foot up trying to go to fast. You don't wont scarring and if you twist that ankle or somthing like that you will case damage. Are you going to PT?

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 16:05 (155863)

are in pt?