Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TOE TAPS

Posted by Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 15:20 (155855)

'To do toe taps, the athlete lifts all toes off the floor; while keeping the heel on the floor and the outside 4 toes in the air, repetitively taps just the big toe to the floor. Next, the athlete reverses the process and repetitively taps the outside 4 toes to the floor while keeping the big toe in the air. '
http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic103.htm#section~pictures

This seems to be a really good exercise for the intrinsic mussels.

marty

Re: good foot pics

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 15:58 (155861)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wnor/soleoffoot.htm

Re: hmmmm what to make of this one?

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 16:20 (155864)

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/plantarf.htm

Re: intrinsic stuff

Marty from SLC on 7/19/04 at 16:40 (155868)

http://www.quad4x.net/cswebpage/plantar_fasciitis.html

john h on 7/19/04 at 17:58 (155878)

Marty I have read other such articles and definitely have some really sore spots (trigger points) on an area in both calves. The therapist noted she often found pain in this area in people with foot pain. There is a clinic in Chicago run by two Doctors (MD's) who do only trigger point therapy by injecting the trigger points with some sort of solution. They charge many thousands of dollars and charge by the number of injections which can be a hundred or more. I have also read that their clinic is bogus but have no idea. Referred pain I think is a proven medical fact so I can agree with that and it makes sense some deficiency in the leg could show up in the foot.. 20 years ago I had a terrible pain in my shoulder and thought I had bursitis. Turns out my shoulder pain was a portion of the disc in my neck floating around in the spinal canal resulting in a fusion. We have had many discussions on this board on trigger point therapy both by injection and manually.

Dorothy on 7/20/04 at 00:51 (155903)

Marty from SLC - I think you are giving a treasure trove of information and exercises! I am saving the two sites you shared so that I can try these exercises - always looking for exercises for feet/ankles/legs.
Thank you for both of the websites you linked - great information!
As for the trigger point informtion, I checked out the other Clair Davies book (recommended here, I think) and will also look for the one you posted. I bought a used copy of an old Bonnie Prudden book on the same subject. I am only just casually using these ideas for now, but have gotten some nice relief for sciatic pain using the methods described. I think I will eventually get a 'Theracane' and a hard-ish rubber ball as tools for these techniques.
Thank you, Marty - very useful information - plus a good definition of 'extrinsic' and 'intrinsic' for foot muscles; I was not previously clear on what was meant.

Re: good foot pics

Dorothy on 7/20/04 at 01:01 (155904)

These are the best illustrations I have seen anywhere of the entire foot structure. However, it made me very uncomfortable just looking at them - got 'antsy' feet! But they are really good.
Thanks once again, Marty!

Marty from SLC on 7/20/04 at 10:33 (155911)

You know it seems many of us treat ourselves and end up with just as good or better results then what were getting from doctors. I sure wish I could induce Fascii healing. John mn is insisting that it can be done without e.s.w.t. because that's all e.s.w.t. is going. If only we could induce healing ourselves.

Marty

john h on 7/20/04 at 10:55 (155913)

In the final analysis it may be that what we do individually may be what results in our cure or improvement. We must make the choices. Like physical therapy someone may show you how but it is up to you to do the daily things and heavy lifting that will lead to improvement.

Marty from SLC on 7/20/04 at 11:21 (155916)

you know is just make sence that we can't make ourselves do these things but it does happen.

jschac on 7/26/04 at 15:21 (156279)

I put a post on this site a few weeks ago about the Clair Davies book on trigger points, and how they can mimick PF, carpal tunnel and other soft tissue maladies. My heel pain is now 90-95% gone, and I am working on other sore areas of my body, my knee tendons, for example. If you have PF, or think you do, please check your calf muscle for very tender, sore spots, and get this book if you have such spots. Four weeks after discovering it, I am virtually pain free.

The spots are easy to find. Just poke around you calf with your thumb or with your opposite knee. If you have a trigger point, you will know it when you feel it, and you will probably jump because of the pain.

Good luck!