Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by lynn on 7/20/04 at 18:29 (155939)

what's the difference between a bone scan and an MRI? thank you.

Re: procedures

cindyp on 7/20/04 at 20:20 (155944)

dont know about a bone scan and mri however is a x ray of soft tissues.

Ann L on 7/21/04 at 17:21 (156008)

I got this info partly from webmd and partly based on my personal and professional experience (nurse).

A bone scan is a nuclear scanning test that is used to evaluate damage to bones, detect bone cancer, or conditions that can affect bones such as infection or trauma. To perform the test, a radioactive tracer is injected into a vein - if I remember correctly from mine, they give it about 3hours to absorb. The technician then will place you on the scanner to detect the absorbtion of the tracer. Areas of bone that absorb little or no tracer - 'cold' spots - indicate a lack of blood supply (bone infarction) or bone cancer. Areas of rapid bone growth or repair absorb increased amounts of tracer and show up as 'hot' spots in the picture, indicating tumor, fracture, infection, inflammation.

An MRI can provide a detailed picture of structures and organs inside the body. It uses a powerful magnetic field and radio signals to create a picture and often provide more detail than a CTscan or Xray. It is not as useful for bones, but rather for supporting structures, presence of tumors, etc.

lynn on 7/21/04 at 20:53 (156015)

Thank you both :)