Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A Fox Story

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 7/21/04 at 09:55 (155959)

We just paid almost $100.00 to have a wild fox relocated from our garden & back yard! We live in a rural area with a new subdivision across the fields from our home. A well meaning neighbor started feeding two beautiful wild foxes dog food & table scraps trying to make them pets. One fox was killed on the highway a few weeks ago. The other fox grew up and decided to make our kittens his midnight snack. Although it was a beautiful animal, we didn't like the idea of sharing our pets or having a possible rabie carrier in our yard. We tried everything to get it to leave but the sneaky little guy came back every night around dusk. Our local fish & wildlife official recommended a very efficient 'trapper'. He put out four 'live' traps filled with sardines & peanut butter. I guess the fox must love that combination because as I type, the fox is being relocated along a river about 20 miles from here. I hope he has a terrible sense of direction and can't find our little farm again. The moral of the story is please never feed wild animals, they aren't meant to be pets.

Re: A Fox Story

john h on 7/21/04 at 10:24 (155963)

Kathy I have had a fox (Red) come to my back yard on occasion as I keep cat food there and also for the racoons. He has a very high pitch bark. He does not look much bigger than my cats and I think any of my outdoor cats might be to much for him in a fight. He certainly would not attack one of those 25 lb racoons. My back yard is lighted so I see him very clearly. One night I went out on the deck and watched his scale a 7 foot fence in one bound. I was totally amazed at how he could jump. We had an article in the paper this week about some people who were having their newspaper stollen every morning. They set up a camera and found it was a fox. He was using it to fix his den. Several years ago I sas a dog in the street in front of my house under the street light.It was about 11pm. I went out to see if he was lost or had a tag. I got about 8 feet from him as he stood there. It was no dog it was a cayote. Now they are big enough to take a cat or another dog. He just trotted off down the street. There are woods in back of my home and most all the neighbors have a fence between the woods and their homes. He probaly trotted down a stream which runs from the woods and became trapped so to speak. I of course love animals and I probably have 4th and 5th generation racoons who feed in my back yard. One comes when I whistle. I did have a mother with 5 babies and the babies would crawl on me as I sat on the deck. They sometimes meet me at the door when I am bringing food out and follow me like a dog. They get along nicely with the cats and also with the several oppossum who stop by. We have not had a case of rabbies in our county in over 30 years so I am not very concerned. We have a big event in Arkansas called a coon feast where they barbecue raccoons. Obviously I would never go as I am not a hunter and like the raccoons but this is Arkansas a hunting state so I must accept it.

Dorothy on 7/21/04 at 10:37 (155967)

Mmmmmmm-mmmmm: peanut butter and sardines.

I'm starting to think that peanut butter, one of my favorites, is the Universal Trap. (Rodents like it, too, as their last meal..)

Foxes, rodents, Elvis,Jimmy Carter, me.....I sense a Peanut Butter Fan Club developing....

Actually, we've seen several foxes this summer at times and in places that were highly unusual. One of them was at midday in the city in a yard.
Another was in the morning walking down a city street - right down the middle, ignoring proper lane usage and everything! They are mostly tail, really. Still, one wonders what is bringing out the foxes. Plus, there is the very strange story of the pelicans disappearing....

Kathy in Ky on 7/21/04 at 11:09 (155974)

I wasn't really worried about it killing my mother cat but definitely afraid for the tiny kittens since it was a large fox. We had a case of rabies here last summer- a 15 yr old girl died after getting bit/ scratched trying to tame a squirrel so we don't want to encourage any wild animals to stay in our yard. The hospital didn't know what they were dealing with until the autopsy. (my daughter loves animals & would have tried the same thing) The wildlife guy said our fox was very lucky, we could have been the type to shoot it & not worry about relocation. We were also told there is a $500.00 fine in KY for feeding/keeping wild animals, not sure if that is true or not.

Necee on 7/21/04 at 11:47 (155977)

I applaude you Kathy for caring enough to see that the Fox was taken care of. In most cases like that they are just shot.

We will soon be moving to the country when our house is complete, and spending weekends there for the past several years has rendered many situations involving 'critters'. There are lots of Coyotes in the area, and I'm sure if we had chickens they would be frequent visitors. Neighbors down the road have lost most of their flock to Coyotes.

I know better than to leave dog food outside...every racoon in the county would be feasting on my porch...I wouldn't mind it too much, but I think my dog would!

Happy trails....

Necee

Kathy G on 7/22/04 at 08:25 (156039)

It's too bad that you had to pay the money, Kathy, but as we continue to develop the land, wild animals are becoming more commonplace. In the last couple of years, the state of Massachusetts has had some serious problems with foxes, coyotes and mountain lions making their way into the backyards of new suburban homes.

I'm a member of my town's Zoning Board of Adjustment and I favor growth, but controlled growth. The poor wild animals have nowhere left to go so they set up house in suburbia. It's an ongoing problem that will continue to worsen.

marie on 7/22/04 at 16:22 (156075)

We have a fox that lives under one of our neighbors storage barn near our cabin. It's really beautiful but I really wouldn't want it under my barn. They have tried everything and the darned stinker just keeps coming back. They are good on reducing varments like chipmunks and such. I suppose it all works out in the end. We never see it in the summer just its hole. No one is out there in the winter so it has the place to itself and we have caught several glimpses of it then. It's a heavily wooded area so we all understand there are critters of all kinds out there. I'm glad you used a live trap...they are just so darn pretty.

marie