Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another pair of orthotics?

Posted by Vern S. on 7/21/04 at 10:07 (155961)

After a negative NCV test last week, I tried my 3rd DPM yesterday for pain and burning varying over most of both feet. After a quick look at my feet, he said my custom orthotics made out of high density EVA were of no more value than putting kleenex in my shoes, and I will most likley need to get new rigid ones. He did tape one foot and said if that foot started feeeling better, then that is proof I need new rigid ones.
While he did not even watch me walk, he said my 2+ years of pain is from the abnormal stress put on the ligaments because of not having rigid orthotics.
He left me not feeling confident. Any other thoughts out there?

Re: Another pair of orthotics?

DavidW on 7/21/04 at 10:39 (155968)

My experience is similar. I have had pain for 2+ years as well and spent all of the 1st year of pain wearing rigid orthotics that were adjusted many times with no reduction in pain whatsoever. Each adjustment costs money and sometimes takes several weeks, which leaves you with no orthotics to wear at all for that time. After 1 year of wearing them, I have switched to OTC orthotics from http://www.powerstep.com . My reasons were that I could wear them more often because I bought multiple pairs (~$30/pair) for all my shoes, and that I had nothing to lose because the rigid $300 pair of orthotics were providing no relief. I still have pain, but no worse than with the $300 orthotics.
I am sure that custom orthotics would have helped me if I had wore them years before my pain began and I am sure that they help alot of people, just not me.

Marcia L on 7/21/04 at 13:36 (155982)

Also have had 3 pair of orthotics.I got my first pair for tired feet while working 12 hour shifts. They were hard plastic. I wore them 24/7. While wearing these, one year later I had my first heel pain. Currently have a gel orthotic custom made. No orthotic has ever helped me except for less pain when getting out of the bed in the morning. My birks have really worked the best. Birkenstosks has to styles that come with x'tra arch support.

Janice N on 7/22/04 at 07:39 (156037)

Did it take you a while to get used to wearing your Birks? I had a pair yrs ago before I had so many foot problems. I have a pair now. Arizonas. I had a coupon and thought well I will give them a try since I can get them for twenty five dollers less. I don't know how to break them in. Because they don't feel so comfy it is hard to make yourself start breaking them in. I put them on some while at home. I wear my diabtic shoes mostly out of the house. Or my Clarks which have a raised heel and feel pretty good. For me Clarks are a good pair of shoes and are not as expensive. Some mistake them for Birks that is how close this pair looks like them. I need to give the Birks a good try as I am paying them each month. Only way I could afford to buy them. And I worried for nothing they wouldn't be wide enough being a regular and not wide. My diabetic shoes are ugly as sin but they sure do feel good. Add a pair of footies and I look a sight. lol I feel like a clown with the big shoes. Well a size 9 sure isn't small.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/22/04 at 14:16 (156067)

I am a strong believer in EVA. I have been using EVA for quite sometime. Mega ridgid is NOT for everyone. Sounds like homeboy just wants to sell you another pair of orthotics.

With most people, hard, ridgid plastic orthotics would be wonderful.......................................................................................to scrape the ice off your windshield in winter time.

Re: Vern

Darlene on 7/25/04 at 21:22 (156243)

How are you doing? I am not a doctor, but is he saying that your ligaments are causing pain and burning in your feet?
You might want to post on the Ask the Doctor's Board.
I have similar symptoms and my new MRI shows an enlarged muscle abutting the neurovacular bundle in the tarsal tunnel area. Since the MRI is non-weight bearing, I think it may be putting pressure on the nerve during walking. The less I walk, the better it is. After 4 pairs of custom orthotics, I have learned that orthotics are not the answer. One podiatrist suggested a walking brace for a while to take the pressure off. Did your symptoms appear after an injury or other change?

Re: Vern

Vern S. on 7/26/04 at 12:02 (156273)

Yes, the DPM said without a rigid orthotic I must be walking in a manner that strains the ligaments and causes the pain. When I go back tommorow, I will ask about a MRI.
Wish I has some advise for you on the enlarged muscle. Other muscles seen to shrink over time. Maybe that will work to your benefit.