Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Painful toe implants

Posted by Mark on 7/21/04 at 13:25 (155980)

I have had bilateral painful big toe implants for one year. I took Dr. Davis' advice and got a second opinon. The doctor told me I had very dense adhesions and the doctor said he would open up both big toes and take out the implants and use the adhesions to make the joint missing. He said this would be as good as the implant but without the pain. Have you ever heard of this? Is there any downsides to this? Wouldn't the big toes be a lot shorter? I am a very active person and I just can't seem to wonder if this kind of surgery would make a durable big toe and end my pain?

Re: Painful toe implants

Dr. Z on 6/27/04 at 16:44 (154046)

Mark A

The reason a fused toe can work is because it stops all of the painful motion in the joint. To have pain before the implant surgery there was some range of motion that was painful. So what are the solutions?
1. Go back. Release any and all adhesions with a surgery. Maybe replace the joint with other type of implant
2. Fuse the big toe joint completely so there is no motion at all

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/21/04 at 14:23 (155989)

That is a viable option but it can make the big toes shorter and weaker. Does this second doc have a lot of experience with big toe joint implants?

Mark on 7/21/04 at 18:39 (156011)

Dr. Davis,

The doctor has 25 years experience with big toe implants. Do you have any other suggestions that I can run by him. I just don't know what to do? I really wish he didn't have to take the implants out but he thinks that if he just cuts the adhesions out they will just come back with a vengeance. Why can't you just break the adhesions with a laser or something else?

Thanks Mark

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/21/04 at 23:29 (156019)

He has the advantage of an exam. I would ask him why he would not try to remove the impants, scar tissue and place new implants?