Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion

Posted by KellyL on 7/21/04 at 19:38 (156014)

I just realized I am developing a bunion. I originally posted on my heel pain and accomodation forms, but now I am getting a darn bunion on my right foot. It does not hurt at all but I'm wondering how to prevent any further damage. Is it standing? I stand all day in Easy Spirit shoes or flats. I do not wear high heals any longer for several years now so this development is upsetting.

Any advice? Should I get surgury?

Re: Bunion

Pauline on 7/21/04 at 21:11 (156016)

Kelly,
I'm not a doctor, but I certainly wouldn't get surgery on a bunion that isn't causing you any pain. I'd turn those Easy Spirits and flats in for a good fitting running shoe, one that has a wide and higher toe box.

You may actually want to find a New Balance store in your area where you can actually get shoes fitted.

Never take foot surgery for granted. The foot is a complicated part of the body and the results from foot surgery are not always positive.
Do a search on the surgery board here by typing in the word Bunion. You'll see the kind of complications that people developed following what they thought was going to be a piece of cake surgery.

Good luck.

My medical disclaimer:
I am not a doctor and the above post is my personal opinion. Although New Balance Shoes tend to be a good brand, people should investigate all brands of good running shoes on the market prior to making their choice. Purchasing shoes at a store with a good return policy is a good idea. Posters should also remember that no surgery comes with a guarantee and should consider getting a second opinion prior to making their surgical decisions.