Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm off to Pittsburgh tomorrow!

Posted by Kathy G on 7/22/04 at 09:27 (156048)

We are leaving for my nephew's wedding in Pittsburgh tomorrow. We arrive in Pittsburgh around 5 and the wedding is the next evening at 5:30. We fly out on Sunday morning so it's a pretty brief visit.

I can't say that I know a whole lot about Pittsburgh except from my football knowledge and of course, the steel industry in general. You know, to a football fan, it means the Steel Curtain, Mean Joe Green, Lynn Swan, the sometimes annoying Terry Bradshaw. I also know it's hot and very humid. Of course, one of my favorite books was Valley of Decision, which took place in Pittsburgh, so I know about the steel industry from a romantic point of view. And I think Taylor Caldwells, Captains and the Kings, took place in Pittsburgh and I love that book. Actually, now that I mention it, I think I might like to read it again.

We're staying in a beautiful hotel called the Renaissance and it has a fascinating history. When they restored it in the eighties, they discovered it had been used as a military hospital during WWII and they found steel syringes (Ugh), and glass syringes behind some walls. It also has one of the earliest forms of manmade air conditioning, with a nine-story arched well that supposedly allowed cool air from the river to push the hot air up high and kept the lower levels cooler. All in all, a very interesting building.

We're looking forward to a good time! Talk to you all when we return!

Re: I'm off to Pittsburgh tomorrow!

Dorothy on 7/22/04 at 12:02 (156054)

Kathy G -
I love Pittsburgh and visit there often. It's a wonderful city that has had a fabulous 'renaissance' itself. I bet you'll have a great time.
Watch out for all the hills if you're going to do much walking. I had a recent foot setback from lots of hill walking in Pittsburgh. But it's a great city.
Have you read 'When Smoke Ran Like Water'? Good read about that area/history/non-fiction.

Necee on 7/22/04 at 13:32 (156063)

Hope you have a wonderful time, and return safely home.

Kathy G on 7/22/04 at 14:07 (156065)

Thanks for the tip, Dorothy. They're telling me I can walk to the church from the hotel, to Heinz field, etc. Everything is within walking distance, they claim and taxis are unnecessary and expensive. If we walk anywhere, I'm going to wear my orthotics and running shoes. I have new Josef Seibels but I can't wear them for long before they absolutely kill my heels and cause a numb spot in my calf. Thus, I will carry my running shoes in a tote bag with me and change into them whenever necessary. After all, who's going to look at the aunt of the groom?

And if they do, they'll just think that's how NH hicks dress!

Richard, C.Ped on 7/22/04 at 15:58 (156074)

I don't know if you will get to read this in time, but is your nephew's name Willie, by chance??

MARK L on 7/23/04 at 08:09 (156104)

Just the thought of getting married gives me the 'WILLIES'

Richard, C.Ped on 7/23/04 at 09:13 (156108)

I love it and would not change anything for the world.

MARK L on 7/23/04 at 17:09 (156151)

I guess anybody that is happy with what they did in a war can be happy in a marriage

Richard, C.Ped on 7/26/04 at 07:56 (156248)

What did I do in a war??