Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've been spoiled - My central AC died last night......

Posted by Kathy G on 7/23/04 at 08:26 (156105)

and I'm dying! We have always had air conditioning. When we first married, we lived in a lovely apartment complex with central AC. When we moved into this house, we bought three room air conditioners, which, while expensive, took care of the whole house. We replaced them with central AC in 1992 and it's been wonderful ever since.

Last night, I noticed that the AC didn't seem to be behaving correctly. By 11PM, it was 78 in the house, cooler outside, and although our whole house fan was working, the AC unit itself was silent. We awakened, or rather my husband did since I was awake half the night, to no AC and a house temperature of 77.

We have had terrible weather in NH and all of NE, but the last three days have been hot and humid. It hit 90 yesterday and it's very humid. Today it's supposed to be the same but so far, the sun isn't a huge factor. Luckily, we have our daughter's two-year-old room AC because she now has central, and my husband put it in our bedroom window so when we return, we'll be able to sleep.

Now the dilemma is who to call to repair or replace it. I tend to think that replacing is the way to go. Our unit has a SEER of ten and we could get something much more efficient. The fellow who put the unit in was working on the side and I don't even know if he's still around. I'm going to call his home telephone number and see if he still does HVAC or even lives around here.

I was looking at your messages to Necee. I notice most of you mentioned Trane or Carrier. Our present unit is a York.

In the meantime, despite my meds, I'm coughing and sneezing up a storm. One of the reasons central air is so important to me is my stupid allergies. I'm glad I'll be in an air conditioned airport soon! Isn't it amazing how dependent we become on these things? My house isn't even set up for opening up the windows. I don't even have screens on my front door! We open the windows sometimes but only for a brief period in the Spring or the Fall, and then it has to be before the pollen is bad.

I'm a spoiled, soft American!!!

Re: I've been spoiled - My central AC died last night......

john h on 7/23/04 at 09:04 (156106)

Kathy it does not seem that long ago to me we did not have air conditioning in homes or cars. In pilot training in Lubbock, Texas where it really got hot we thought we were up town by using a swamp cooler to coold our apartment. It did make very good mud. It really does not take one long to re adapt. Very little A/C in Vietnam and after a while I did not pay much attention.

MARK L on 7/23/04 at 09:58 (156113)

I would think that while being involved in killing people in 'Nam one's thoughts wouldn't focus on how high the temperature was.

john h on 7/23/04 at 10:09 (156115)

Actually Mark I was in Air Rescue and was focused on saving lives and actually did so. My unit also established an orphanage which to this day is up and going and we still support it financially. I delivered probably 200,000 or more books to schools and my unit helped rebuild them..

Kathy in Ky on 7/23/04 at 13:48 (156128)

Our unit is Tempstar. This is our second home with the same company, we've had good service & the warranty is good. At our last house the condenser went out & was replaced at no charge. Of course, we live in a small town & the repair guy lived in our neighborhood. It has been extremely humid here this week but the weekend weather sounds better. I hope so because I'm canning green beans, tomatoes & freezing corn. Definitely need the a.c.

MARK L on 7/23/04 at 17:08 (156150)

Yum Yum canned tomatoes- with hardly any effort you can get a good growth of botuli bacilii growing in home canned tomatoes.

Dorothy on 7/23/04 at 20:31 (156167)

John H -

You have given advice in the past that would be good to remind you of now regarding the post from this Mark L.: Ignore him.

(Although I am glad to know about this part of your past!)

Janice N on 7/24/04 at 06:50 (156178)

I live in a ten story building on the sixth floor. My AC bit the dust in the middle of the night a wk ago. And I live in Texas. I kept thinking who do I know here with an extra bed. lol I had an ice pack on my head as I already had a bad headache when it went out. The AC was replaced with a rebulit unit. My bill last month was $127. and that was with a discount of 13 dollars. You don't hear from me again you know I had heart faliure when I opend my bill for this month. This is a one bedroom apt. The AC is like the ones they have in Motel 6. I don't know what they were thinking when they put those in an apt for the elderly and disabled. Not affordable at all.
I hope you are enjoying AC soon. When you are used to having it and then it goes out it is bad. Especially
on the weekend.

Janice N on 7/24/04 at 06:53 (156179)

Hey there is something to be said to living in a small town when the AC goes out. You can sit out and watch for the repairman to come home. lol

john h on 7/24/04 at 09:51 (156193)

Speaking of apartments I read that the 'average' price of a one bedroom apartment in NYC without a view was in excess of one million dollars!!!!! Dam! You got to make a good salary to support yourself in that city. I lived in Brooklyn in the 50's with my Aunt & Uncle on the grounds of the Brooklyn State Mental Hospital on Flatbush Avenue (He was a Psychaitrist) and worked on Wall Street (I was a teen) and there was no big bucks then to be made. I wonder what a vist to the Pod cost there?

john h on 7/24/04 at 09:53 (156194)

Dorothy how right you are. Thanks for reminding me I shall do my best.

john h on 7/24/04 at 09:56 (156195)

Kathy: I manage a lot of shopping centers and large office buildings so deal with HVAC problems daily. The one biggest thing you as an owner can do is change the filters regularly. A dirty air filter will certainly shorten the life of your A/C. I also highly recommend the annual checkup on the heater and A/C. It is money well spent.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/24/04 at 20:55 (156218)

Kathy,

Sorry to hear about your A/C!!!

It's hot beyond belief in New Orleans this weekend. My central A/C isn't dead, but it just can't keep up. I've been using my ceiling fans, which make things about ten degrees more comfortable for me.

Anyway, hope you can get it fixed soon.

Carole C

marie on 8/01/04 at 16:43 (156724)

Carole,

I just got back from Louisianna....and boy is it ever hot down there. I layed out by the pool for about an hour the other day. I was on one of those wrought iron mesh lounges. I had rolled over on my stomach for a while and the mesh wore off the sunscreen on my face just were it made contact. Later I looked like an alien being from star trek. We had no idea how I got all these strange marks on my face. Then it occured to me about the mesh....but I was freaking out there for about an hour. LOL.