Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantat Fasciitis

Posted by Rita W on 7/23/04 at 09:06 (156107)

I was diagnoised with PF 2 years ago. It was 80% improved most of the
time. I have had a recent flare up with leg cramps in the more affected
foot. Would bicyling occassionly cause the flare up?
1) Are leg cramps associated with Plantar Fasciitis?

2) I got Mephisto Sandals...flat but with what I thought was a good arch
support. Could this cause a flare up?

Re: Plantat Fasciitis

Hestia on 7/24/04 at 22:41 (156219)

I am not a doctor but for me bicycling did cause a flare up. I had PF for about 6 months and my feet were better but not cured. I wanted to try some cardio again so I started using a recumbent bike. After 4 weeks of 20 minutes 3 times a week my feet were quite a bit worse and I started feeling heat and numbness which was diagnosed as tarsal tunnel. That was January or February and I have yet to get back to that 'better' stage. I have also had cramps in my calves when my feet are really bad. This is especially after days when I try to do too much on my feet. And lastly, my feet are very finicky these days and only like my walking shoes with orthotics, so any different shoe can cause a flare up for me. I try to take it easy with the introduction of any new/different shoe.

Re: Plantat Fasciitis

jschac on 7/26/04 at 16:13 (156286)

It sounds like you may have trigger points in the calves that can mimick the symptoms of PF. I thought I had PF, but it turned out I had trigger points. I have put other messages on here about this. There is a good book by Clair Davies on Amazon. I am virtually pain free after three weeks of massaging my calves.