Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Clinic notes from Doctor! Please read DR. ED DAvis

Posted by John Martello on 7/24/04 at 17:39 (156209)

Dr Davis,

As you know my situation (FHL/FDL tenosynovitis) has been chronic pain from the inside ankle area, only with NO numbness or tingling just pain that is constant but more prounounced upon weighbearing. I caanot stand for long periods of time.

His notes indicate ' Tenosynovectomy of the FHL and FDL and possible repair of the tendons. Note My MRI did not show a tear, but did show tenosynovitis of these tendons. Also a tarsal tunnel release.

Questions:

1. Is this a rare type of surgery and do you think it could make me worse or just no better?

2. I have NO numbness or tingling, just pain. Is it possible to develop these additional problems following surgery? I was told the post tib nerve is big enough and it would not be cut.

3. I am only 33 and it is effecting my life, because i am miseable with this pain. Realistically what are my chances of succsss with this surgery?

4. What is the recovery time? Weeks, months???

Can you think of anyhing else I can try conservativley besides the orthotic yoiu reeccommednd , but didnt help?

Thank you

Re: Clinic notes from Doctor! Please read DR. ED DAvis

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/26/04 at 10:41 (156267)

John:
The tendon procedures have a good chance of helping. Tarsal tunnel surgery is about 2/3 effective so you need to be sure that that is something you must have. Has TTS been confirmed by nerve conduction velocity tests (NCV)?
Ed

Re: Clinic notes from Doctor! Please read DR. ED DAvis

John Martello on 7/26/04 at 18:41 (156299)

Dr ED,

My NCV test was done by a neurologist and he determined that i was having minimal irritation to the post tib nerve, but not full blown tarsal tunnel syndrome. He seems to predict that i have more of the tenosynovitis of the FHL/FDL tendons instead. Can the tendon procedure be performed without having a tarsal tunnel release? The pain is localized and is below the medial malleous inside ankle bone. The Fhl/fdl is inside the tunnel as is where my pain is localized. Risky surgery?

Also what do you think about a Arizona anjkle brace for my condition?