Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back from Pittsburgh and sitting in air-conditioned comfort!

Posted by Kathy G on 7/26/04 at 11:01 (156269)

After my post on Friday, I decided to just call the fellow who installed our central AC twelve years ago. Not only does he still live in the area, he now has his own business. He was so nice that he put off all his calls for the day and came over a half hour after I called him! As it turns out, all that had happened was that a capacitor had been fried, probably from a power surge. He replaced it, inspected the unit and for $115, I was in business! It was so nice of him to go out of his way for me. He didn't want us to have to come home to a hot house. He also said that our unit was in great condition, hadn't leaked any fluid, and could run for another ten years! Or, it could die tomorrow, but all I know is that for the time being, it's operational.

You're right about the filters, John. We have a special filter on our AC and furnace and I clean it once a month. It's wonderful. I only have to dust my house every two weeks. The amount of dust it prevents is amazing. We have many pines in the area, and we are spared the yellow pollen that sticks to everything in sight once a year.

As for the Pittsburgh, it was just beautiful. The hotel was the nicest I've ever stayed in. It was right across from the ballpark. The Cincinnati Reds were in town and the rooms for which we paid a wedding special of $149 were going for $279 a night! And the hotel was totally booked!

Pittsburgh is really a nice city. I'm not a city person but I really liked it. First of all, there's all that history. Second of all, the people are very friendly. Everyone, from the taxi drivers to the waiters to just people on the street, were so warm and friendly. I understand why New Englanders are considered cold because no one in Boston, Hartford, etc. would be that friendly. I, of course, prefer to think New Englanders are reserved, but we certainly don't have that warmth in our cities and I notice it every time we travel.

Our taxi driver who brought us from the airport to the hotel was like a travel guide and he told us that they were having fireworks Friday night after the game. He recommended that we watch them from the top of Mount Washington and said we could get there on the tram. Then he pointed out the tram.

For those of you who don't know Pittsburgh, it's very hilly as Dorothy had told me, and Mount Washington, which years ago was called 'Coal Mountain' isn't a mountain but for someone like me who's afraid of heights, it's pretty darn steep! What I didn't realize was that at the top, there are houses, stores, etc. It seems that back in the 1800's, all the mills were down near the rivers and they had no room for houses. The mill workers had to trudge up these steep hills to get to their homes. Many of the immigrant workers were German and they were the ones who suggested that a tram, such as the ones they had in Germany, be built so that it was easier to get back and forth. At one time, there were seventeen of them but now only two remain. The one we went on was built in 1870 but luckily, it had been updated:)

At the top, there was an observation deck and we saw a magnificent fireworks display. I'm a realfireworks nut so I thought it was glorious. They also shot off displays from four buildings and it was a sight to behold. Ironically, had we gone back to our hotel room, we probably would have had a better view because from there we could have seen the ground displays and the laser show in the baseball park, but we wouldn't have had the fun of seeing the whole city from such a distance. And I wouldn't have shocked my family by having the nerve to go up the incline, as they call it, in Pittsburgh. It was such fun!

The wedding was beautiful and my niece-in-law's(?) family were gracious hosts. I don't even want to think of the amount of calories I consumed! The cathedral they married in was beautiful and the reception was held in a club that is a national landmark, incidentally designed by two New England architects. It was lovely.

All in all, it was a great weekend and although my feet aren't happy, I intend to rest them for the next day or two and I should be in good shape. It's amazing how you adapt. I sat at the reception cocktail hour. My feet didn't hurt but I got a stiff neck from looking up at people with whom I was talking. It's not like they didn't have tables all around but they only ones sitting were me and the bride's ninety-year-old grandmother! Going up the incline, I sat on the stairs while waiting for the line to move so we could get on a car and once we got to the observation deck, I just sat on the ground. I brought my running shoes to all the functions and just changed into them when I had to walk or hurt too much. No one cared!

All in all, a very nice experience!

Re: Back from Pittsburgh and sitting in air-conditioned comfort!

Richard, C.Ped on 7/26/04 at 12:05 (156274)

Hi Kathy,
I don't know if you saw my post before you left, but I was wondering if your nephew's name was Willie, by chance.

Re: Back from Pittsburgh and sitting in air-conditioned comfort!

Suzanne D. on 7/26/04 at 19:50 (156307)

I'm relieved to know your air conditioning is restored and that nothing major had to be done to repair it, Kathy!

And how nice that you had an enjoyable time in Pittsburgh, complete with surprise fireworks!

Rest your feet in the coolness of your home and enjoy the pictures when you get them back.

Suzanne :)

Re: Richard

Kathy G on 7/27/04 at 09:06 (156329)

No, his name isn't Willie but I sense a wise remark coming up! :)

Richard, C.Ped on 7/27/04 at 14:02 (156351)

No, not this time...haha.
I was curious because my wife's cousin was married this past weekend in Pittsburgh. I thought we were related for a minute there. haha

Kathy G on 7/29/04 at 08:40 (156434)

And here I thought there was a wise crack coming! No, my nephew's name is Greg. If there were a foot expert anywhere in my family, believe me, I'd know!

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/04 at 08:01 (156508)

Wise crack? From little ole me??? lol!!!