Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions about after ESTW

Posted by Lori S. on 7/26/04 at 23:43 (156318)

I am wondering, after reading several posts here, is it going to be difficult to walk for awhile after ESTW? (not like its not hard now, but I do have State Fair coming up, wondering if I need to make arrangements to be off my feet more). No anti-inflamitories scares me too. I have scheduled treatment the end of August.
anyways,,,,,, thanks for listening,,,,,

Re: Questions about after ESTW

MonikaA on 7/27/04 at 07:39 (156325)

Hi. I had eswt in May, and I will say that my foot was quite sore for the first week or so. It was pretty close to what it had been before I had the procedure, so I was used to dealing with the pain. I would say, though, that I think rest made a huge difference. I didn't quit walking all together, but I definitely took it easier-stopping after short periods of walking, etc. good luck to you!

Tina H on 7/29/04 at 07:29 (156429)

Lorinda- I had ESWT a week ago and I am in more pain than before, Although I have not really had a chance to stay off of my feet all day long. The only post ESWT instructions I received was to stop the anti-inflammatories and ice. Yesterday I made the mistake of taking my son on a college visit and that was way too much walking. My limp is so bad that now my hip(something I've never had problems with) on the opposite leg is very sore. Maybe I'm not the norm, but I wish someone would have told me ahead of time that I would have been this sore. I think I would have delayed treatment until my kids were back in school in the fall. Not being able to take anti-inflammatories or use ice may be the reason my heel feels so much worse than before ESWT. Good Luck! Tina

sharon k on 7/30/04 at 08:27 (156510)

if insurance will not pre cert procedure how much is cost out of pocket

Tina H on 7/30/04 at 08:44 (156513)

My insurance would not cover ESTW. My doctor charged me 500$.

Re: To Tina

Pauline on 7/30/04 at 09:27 (156521)

Thank you for posting your cost. To date, I think this is the least expensive treatment cost we've seen and I think it's a good thing.

Many people want to try ESWT, but the high cost has held them back. Without insurance coverage, I think doctors have had to start lowering their fees.