Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Diagnosis Received yesterday

Posted by Marsha G. on 7/27/04 at 07:37 (156324)

My original posting was on June 28th. Yesterday I saw a very nice Podiatrist. I took Marty's advice (I think, and wrote down all my history and previous treatment) His diagnosis was Tarsal Tunnel.He actually did a physical exam (my other Dr. did not) I felt validated and some what relieved if that makes sense to some of you. I also feel lucky that I found this web site and was able to understand what he was talking about. He did a periiipheral nerve block with injection of dexamethsone. And told me to get new shoes. He also mentioned a MRI. What I forgot to find out is, do nerves show on an MRI or is that to rule out any other problems that may or may not exist? He did not address my knee pain that much. I would assume my knee is painful from the way I walk.
So thanks to all of you that share your stories/pain and your walk with this problem. God Bless you all.
Marsha

Re: Diagnosis Received yesterday

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/28/04 at 12:44 (156391)

Marsha:
The main purpose of the MRI would be to see if there is any structure placing pressure on the posterior tibial nerve (the nerve involved in TTS).
Ed

Marsha G. on 7/28/04 at 17:16 (156404)

Thank you for your reply. Could that same nerve cause the knee to be painful on the same side (as the involved foot?) And do you know of a diagnostic radiograph that would show the nerves? Or any other test?
Marsha

Terry D. on 8/01/04 at 20:41 (156740)

There is special kind of MRI called MR neurography which can see the small periphal nerves. You can look it up on the internet.
Best of luck,
Terry D.

Re: New Diagnosis!

Marsha G. on 8/06/04 at 07:45 (157046)

Now I am back to RSD. When I returned to the podiatrist on Tuesday, my foot was ice cold and turning different colors right before his eyes. More painful than before I had the injection.And turning to the left, even on rest. However, the tapping on the ankle electric shock thing had gone..?????? He released me faster than a flash of light.. . . I understand though. I am on my way to the pain management team at the local hospital.......Good luck to you all....
Marsha
ps I still feel the orthotics caused this flare of RSD......or what ever you call it. I have my name for it, but I guess I would not be a lady if I put it into writing.