Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

power steps and superfeet inserts

Posted by m j schaefer on 7/28/04 at 07:12 (156375)

Hi, I have been wearing powersteps inserts for years now for pf and now I am having pain at my big toe joint while wearing them, so i tried a pair of superfeet inserts to see if the pain would subside and now the pain goes across my forefoot, so bad that i can hardly walk.What do you think is the difference in the 2 inserts. Do you think the powerstep supports the other toes better which leaves me with pain in my big toe joint, i am truly stumped. Can anyone help? mj

Re: power steps and superfeet inserts

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/28/04 at 12:38 (156388)

Each insert has its followers. I feel that the Superfeet offers somewhat more support. They are both prefabricated devices so it may be time to obtain a professional assesment to find out what the cause of the pain is.
Ed

Re: power steps and superfeet inserts

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/28/04 at 15:27 (156400)

My personal preference is the PowerSteps, since I've had significantly more success in my practice with PowerSteps vs. Superfeet. I find that the Superfeet are often too narrow and do not provide as much support in the arch as the PowerSteps. But as Dr. Ed stated, that's a preference based on each of our experiences. I fully agree with Dr. Ed that it is probably time to have your problem evaluated. Although PowerSteps and Superfeet are excellent devices, these are over the counter and don't work for everyone. You may benefit from a pair of custom orthoses.