Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain

Posted by KerryG on 7/29/04 at 05:34 (156425)

I am 44 yrs. old, 5'6' and weigh 145 lbs. I have developed pain in my heels in the past year and don't know why. It is not sharp or jabbing but a horrible ache toward the back and inside of my heels. The weird thing is they do not hurt when I am walking - always when relaxing or when trying to sleep. I do not wear high heels, have tried many different shoe inserts, ibuprofen, creams, massaging - nothing helps. I do have a desk job but I have a hydraulic desk top and stand periodically throughout the day. The pain sometimes keeps me from sleeping well. I also have restless leg syndrome and experience leg cramps at night. For some reason tennis shoes seem to aggravate the ache more than any other shoes and I would think these have more padding than other styles. It has gotten to the point that I walk around the house for hours rather than sit down as this is when the aching starts. Any help?

Re: Heel pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/04 at 13:48 (156455)

Kerry:
You have not seeked out a diagnosis but the majority of heel pain is caused by plantar fasciitis. A good place to start is Scott's Heel Pain Book available on this site.
Ed

Dorothy on 7/29/04 at 16:02 (156464)

Dr. Ed -

Unless you are attending the good Dr. Z school of communciation, which has merits, to be sure, I would submit the following -

Just a suggestion: sought/ or sought out, if necessary.
'Seeked out' is still screeching in my 'readers ears...'

Other than that pedantic point, do continue your good advice to hurting foot people.

Submitted with good will and with awareness of being far from perfection -
Dorothy

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/04 at 20:35 (156479)

Dorothy:

The heel pain book is a great resource but it is focused on plantar fasciitis as the cause for heel pain. Sincle plantar fasciitis is the culprit in the majority of cases, one is likely to be moving in the right direction by reviewing the book. To be more certain though, obtaining an accurate diagnosis form a professional is a good idea. The amount of information in the book and on the sight is fairly large and can be overwhelming for a newbie. Also, despite the value of the book it does not often tell patients what to do when (for example night splints can be a good modality but are most effective when a tight gastrosoleus is the prime instigator of PF; their effectiveness many be marginal if that is not the case). Think about how many posts include a statement like 'I have tried everything' yet we are unsure of the diagnosis and unsure what the poster means by 'everything.' There is an advantage to have a diagnosis which is accurate but also a treatment plan that is tailored to the needs of the patient -- there is too much to do for trial and error or 'shotgun' approach to all the information on this site. So to be more specific -- seek out an accurate diagnosis, cause of the problem and a focused treatment plan. Time does work against PF sufferers so getting to the bottom of the problem as quickly as possible and expediting a cure works toward the advantage of the patient.
Ed

Dorothy on 7/29/04 at 23:27 (156492)

Dr. Ed -

I think you may be slipping. First 'seeked out' and now sending me a post that is a complete non sequitur. I have no idea what you are talking about and why you are talking about it to me.
But, uh, what can I say. Thanks for the review?

Perhaps someone out there is waiting for this post from you and perhaps you will want to determine to whom you actually should have sent it... eh?