Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery and nerve sensations

Posted by DonnaO on 7/29/04 at 10:07 (156436)

Hi. I had TTS surgery on both feet and I am at 5 months post op. Things have been going very well so far. My foot muscles are getting much stronger every day and I am able to exercise (but still being careful). However, last night when I was sitting down reading, I felt a familiar shock in the heel of my left foot that lasted for about a minute and a half and then stopped. This morning, the same thing happened for about a minute when I woke up this morning then it stopped again. The shock sensation was not as strong as pre-surgery. For doctors or patients here that have had surgery that has been successful, is this something that is normal at this stage that will eventually diminish in time or does it mean that the TTS is coming back? With the exception of these two incidents, I have felt that the surgery has been successful because I followed the doctor's instructions on the recovery process and I am very careful with the shoes I wear and my activities. Thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
DonnaO

Re: Recovery and nerve sensations

Jeff S on 7/31/04 at 09:13 (156642)

That shooting nerve pain is usually a sign that your nerves are growing back and is not uncommon. Glad to hear your surgery went well. What state are you in, and what doctor did your surgery? Do you know the cause of your tts ie injury, mass, etc

Marty in SLC on 7/31/04 at 09:43 (156648)

My doctor told me this is common and many people feel this pain much worse after surgery because as my doctor told me your nerve will start to fire up as the regenerate. 5 months I would say the nerve is healing and is starting to fire up to test itself out. Just my opinion though

DonnaO on 7/31/04 at 10:47 (156657)

I am from Louisiana and an orthropedic surgeon did my surgery. His name is Dr. Marshall Book. We really don't know the cause of the TTS. He said that sometimes it is the structure of the foot. I was also on my feet alot in grammar school and high school in sports so that may have contributed to it-but I am not sure. Thanks for the info about the nerves. So far things are going well so I am optimistic. Have a good day.
DonnaO

DonnaO on 7/31/04 at 10:52 (156660)

Thank you for the encouragement Marty. I guess I should be patient at 5 months and take things a day at a time. I can deal with the pain as long as I know it is temporary and that it is common at this stage. Have a good day.
DonnaO