Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tinnels sign and neuronton questions

Posted by Darlene on 7/29/04 at 23:59 (156498)

I went to a pain clinic today. All of my tts tests have been negative so far (MRI, NCT, ultrasound). The MRI showed an enlarged muscle abutting the neurovascular muscle. I think this means the muscle is touching the nerve and creating tts symptoms.
Here are my questions:
1. When they test for the tinnels sign, do they tap with their fingers of with an object. This doc used one of the reflex hammers and really hit hard. I got a positive tinnel sign on one foot, but the one with almost no symptoms. Could it be that she was just too rough.
2. She prescribed neuronton with a complicated schedule. Once a day for 3 days, 3x per day for 3 days, 2x per day and 2 pills at bedtime for 3 days, 1 per day and 2 at bedtime for 3 days, etc., then 3 pills 3 times per day for 3 weeks. They are 100 mg. pills.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Darlene

Re: Tinnels sign and neuronton questions

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/31/04 at 21:46 (156683)

Darlene:
Hmmm. Tapping the tarsal tunnel hard enough with a reflex hammer will almost always give one a positive tinel -- I would only tap with my fingers because I want to know if the nerve is hyersensitive (ie. injured).
The reason for the schedule on the Neurontin is that that drug takes some getting used to.
Ed

Re: Tinnels sign and neuronton questions

marie on 8/01/04 at 16:47 (156725)

Ouch, I bet that smarted. None of my docs did that to me. All of them used their fingers just as Dr. Ed does.